Dual Link HD-SDI to Thunderbolt interface?

Mike Krumlauf

I have no idea if I am posting this in the right place here, felt the editing subgroup was the closest bet.

I'm looking for a device that can carry a 1080p 24psf Dual Link 4:4:4 signal via HD SDI and convert that to Thunderbolt so my M1 Mac can ingest it as Prores files. I know their are single link HD SDI to Thunderbolt boxes and DAs but I am having a hard time finding one that can do Dual Link.

• Premium Member

I would suspect the way to do this would be to find a converter that'll give you dual link to 3-gigabit. You may need to be careful that the converter will handle RGB properly, and not helpfully subsample it for you. It may even be hard to tell, until your chromakeys start looking bad later on, or something.

Then go from 3G to Thunderbolt using whatever off the shelf device you have.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mike Krumlauf said:

I'm looking for a device that can carry a 1080p 24psf Dual Link 4:4:4 signal via HD SDI and convert that to Thunderbolt so my M1 Mac can ingest it as Prores files. I know their are single link HD SDI to Thunderbolt boxes and DAs but I am having a hard time finding one that can do Dual Link.

Not a problem at all, the Ultrastudio 4k does dual link. They don't make one that's HD only that does dual link.