WTB: S16 Aaton LTR/XTR/XTR Prod or Arri SR2/3

Nehemiah Stark

43 minutes ago, Nehemiah Stark said:

Hi guys. Don’t want to get in the middle of yous, but wondering if you think I can find a good LTR package without tap for $5-6,000?

A year or two ago I believe I saw a few early XTR and late LTR packages sell for around $5k. Or in some cases less. 

There was a very basic XTR Prod package I think on LA craigslist for around $9k or $10k last year. 

I think it's more an issue of short supply rather than great demand. No one is in a rush to sell because it would be difficult to find another package down the line. So I think there's artificially low supply and it's kind of self-fulfilling. But at least to me that sounds like a reasonable price for an LTR package today. Maybe a bit more than that – but not much.

If you want a K3 that was modified for S16 I have one that is in slightly dodgy condition that I'd let go of for next to nothing... and I know LA is full of rental S16 packages.

And if anyone has an Aaton mount to Nikon mount adapter btw I'd be interested.... in fact I would trade the K3 for it.

Edited by M Joel W

52 minutes ago, M Joel W said:

A year or two ago I believe I saw a few early XTR and late LTR packages sell for around $5k. Or in some cases less. 

There was a very basic XTR Prod package I think on LA craigslist for around $9k or $10k last year. 

I think it's more an issue of short supply rather than great demand. No one is in a rush to sell because it would be difficult to find another package down the line. So I think there's artificially low supply and it's kind of self-fulfilling. But at least to me that sounds like a reasonable price for an LTR package today. Maybe a bit more than that – but not much.

If you want a K3 that was modified for S16 I have one that is in slightly dodgy condition that I'd let go of for next to nothing... and I know LA is full of rental S16 packages.

And if anyone has an Aaton mount to Nikon mount adapter btw I'd be interested.... in fact I would trade the K3 for it.

I am 90% sure I have that adaptor, I would make that trade. I also have an Aaton to arri b mount I would throw in for free 

Just now, Matthew Pothier said:

I am 90% sure I have that adaptor, I would make that trade. I also have an Aaton to arri b mount I would throw in for free 

The K3 is a bit of a mess – the lens has some fungus and something is collimated wrong along the way so that the image in the viewfinder is out of focus as you zoom out, but I am told by the last person who used it that it holds focus on film so they zoom in, focus, then zoom out. The gate looks a little rough and the loop formers have been removed (I think this might be necessary for an S16 conversion). Will take some pictures and PM you.

Regardless, I know this isn't a good deal from my perspective but I bought both an LTR-X and K3 a year or two ago and haven't had time to use either! So I would gladly trade for a Nikon adapter and Arri bayonet adapter. (Lmk if you have any other AKS you don't need as I might be interested in those too.)

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Nehemiah Stark said:

Hi guys. Don’t want to get in the middle of yous, but wondering if you think I can find a good LTR package without tap for $5-6,000?

If you’re patient enough and look enough you might be able to find one. I saw one in November for around this price. Just check local groups on Facebook, eBay, the likes. You never know when one might pop up! 

Edited by Thomas Blanks

Nehemiah,

I know someone who is selling an SR2 but it hasn't been converted to Super or PL.  It does have a tap but I don't remember the specifics of it.  If you are interested at all let me know and I can put you in touch with him.  Good luck with your search. Last year I got a great deal on an SR that had been converted to Super/PL and a set of Kinoptik primes because the seller was super motivated and I was there the next day with cash.  There were a few doomsayers who were like "Oh that has the French motor so you are basically effed it breaks" but after speaking with Paul at Visual Products and the guys at DuAll I felt much better.  Paul was basically like there is always going to be someone who can fix it it just might be harder to find that person.  Unless they start making new cameras that is going to be true for all of them.  Please ignore all this talk about what is a toy and what's professional and what's not professional.  I don't understand the point of that at all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cheryl Hess said:

Nehemiah,

I know someone who is selling an SR2 but it hasn't been converted to Super or PL.  It does have a tap but I don't remember the specifics of it.  If you are interested at all let me know and I can put you in touch with him.  Good luck with your search. Last year I got a great deal on an SR that had been converted to Super/PL and a set of Kinoptik primes because the seller was super motivated and I was there the next day with cash.  There were a few doomsayers who were like "Oh that has the French motor so you are basically effed it breaks" but after speaking with Paul at Visual Products and the guys at DuAll I felt much better.  Paul was basically like there is always going to be someone who can fix it it just might be harder to find that person.  Unless they start making new cameras that is going to be true for all of them.  Please ignore all this talk about what is a toy and what's professional and what's not professional.  I don't understand the point of that at all. 

Appreciate you, Cheryl. Thanks