The New Canon EOS R5 C camera. Anyone Interested?

Max Field

My R5c arrived a short while ago, and I am currently charging the solitary battery. My first impression is that it is incredibly light in hand, and almost feels as if the body is constructed of some sort of composite material which, of course, it may not be.  Lots of buttons, but it feels just right in hand, has a good grip and my fingers fall right onto the buttons that will be most used.  I had been concerned that the battery grip might be required due to the body's diminutive size and, while I do have one, it doesn't feel as if it needs it, other than for the extra shooting time 2 batteries should provide.

There had been some concerns about the rear protrusion causing added bulk, but once in hand it is hardly noticeable to me, but for those accustomed to the R5 it could be an issue.

I will write more once I've had the opportunity to actually use it.

P.S. I wish Canon would begin shipping the OEM batteries ... one battery isn't gonna cut it.

Edited by Ron Wilk

I have performed some minimal testing with the R5c, and while I had anticipated some visible improvement in resolution from the FF sensor, shooting with the same 4k settings as with the C300 Mk III, that has not been the case.  I have yet to try 8K, but that is up next. One other notation, the Tamron  EF 24-70mm DC Vi USD G2 lens does not provide AF in video mode, and it appears from what others have found that other 'G2' series lenses will not work either.  Tamron support has claimed that they do not test 'CINE' cameras and have no plans to do so, and yet the AF works on my C300 Mk III.

The R5c's battery life in video is abysmal.  And with even a short tele zoom on board the camera feels unbalanced.   As a result, I have attached the battery grip with 2 batteries installed to improve handholding/balance and, hopefully, shooting time.  I suspect that the battery grip will become a permanent fixture on the camera.

I have been considering a PD power bank for 8K/60fps video, but I have yet to find one that doesn't have a host of bad reviews.  Furthermore, I'm not sure how I would carry one ... in a pocket, or a belt loop case, if one exists?  The optimal solution would be a Gold Mount or 'V'mount battery, but that would pose an even greater mounting issue and would negate the advantage of the R5c's size and weight. But battery life is a real issue that Canon should have addressed with a different battery.  Furthermore, the only way that I have found to view any indication of battery charge when the battery grip and 2 batteries are being used, is to switch to photo mode, where there is a menu item that shows battery charge and condition.  Why this same menu item isn't available in video mode is baffling.  And then there is another quirk.  The battery level indicator in video mode shows a lower battery charge for the same point in time than than in photo mode ... that is really odd.  I'm sure that there are other issues that I have yet to find.

Like most new cameras to market, the R5c's RAW files are not recognized by Capture one and others.  However, a simple batch removal of the letter 'c' from the camera's nomenclature, via EXIF Editor, fixes that problem.