HBO's "Euphoria" on Ektachrome 100D 35mm

On 1/27/2022 at 10:39 PM, Dennis Toeppen said:

Here's some 35mm 7285 (Old Ektachrome) processed as reversal:

Shot in an Arri 235, which is pin-registered. There were some pretty significant registration issues, and they got worse and worse as the supply side closed in on the core. I sort of imagine the stock was just misbhaving because it had been stored frozen for more than 10 years. I should have used fresh (1/2013) stock. 

Watched this and felt very much there ?  I like static camera filming.

I find this interesting because I have some 35mm Ektachrome in the freezer about 8 years old.  I was wondering if by now the colour and grain could be affected,  but yours looks to me unchanged and good. Don't know if you agree.  The regn.  issue yes is strange towards the end.  I wouldn't have imagined the film would shrink like that, unless it was something else.  So I'm preparing myself for similar issues maybe.  However,  I'd be using a non pin-registered Arri, so wondered perhaps it might cope better ?

Edited by Doug Palmer

3 hours ago, Doug Palmer said:

Watched this and felt very much there ?  I like static camera filming.

I find this interesting because I have some 35mm Ektachrome in the freezer about 8 years old.  I was wondering if by now the colour and grain could be affected,  but yours looks to me unchanged and good. Don't know if you agree.  The regn.  issue yes is strange towards the end.  I wouldn't have imagined the film would shrink like that, unless it was something else.  So I'm preparing myself for similar issues maybe.  However,  I'd be using a non pin-registered Arri, so wondered perhaps it might cope better ?

The only thought I have is that maybe I wouldn't have had these problems if I'd reverse-wound the stock and left it that way for awhile before shooting, then wound it correctly before shooting. That might have eliminated the curling that I theorize caused my problems.

I had big problems running Wittner 200D (estar-based) in my A-Minima. It wouldn't run. So I let it sit for 50 weeks and it worked fine. It just needed a chance to forget its original curl.

Think that sounds kooky? Here's the evidence.

Film used shortly after spooling (bad): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1uM3Z345fY&t=0s

Film used ~ 3 months after spooling (still bad): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2FCldULtc

Ran fine after a 50 weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWLgok_tQc

I don't know if the Ektachrome problem is due to film curl, but it's the only theory I have.

• Site Sponsor
On 2/1/2022 at 12:50 PM, Ludwig Hagelstein said:

No, they didn't cross process it. They ran an E6 process for it.

FotoKem staff stated that they did a Cross Process in ECN2 for this in an interview, looks like that was on the Kodak instagram, I will see if I can dig that up.

I think the production approached us through a production co. asking for us at Cinelab to run it as E6 Color Reversal, as one of a few labs capable of running 35mm E6, with Spectra in LA being the other one.

FotoKem would either have had to setup a E6 processor specifically for this show or send it to us on the East Coast or send it to Spectra in LA and I think they just made the decision to run it in ECN2.

Edited by Robert Houllahan
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

FotoKem would either have had to setup a E6 processor specifically for this show or send it to us on the East Coast or send it to Spectra in LA and I think they just made the decision to run it in ECN2.

Exactly

13 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

FotoKem staff stated that they did a Cross Process in ECN2 for this in an interview, looks like that was on the Kodak instagram, I will see if I can dig that up.

I think the production approached us through a production co. asking for us at Cinelab to run it as E6 Color Reversal, as one of a few labs capable of running 35mm E6, with Spectra in LA being the other one.

Okay this is getting slightly confusing then. I will check again. Might not rule out that I misremember the conversation I had leading me to state it was processed E6. 

Edited by Ludwig Hagelstein

On 2/2/2022 at 6:55 PM, Robert Houllahan said:

Indeed I mixed up something here - you are right. They crossed it. Still looks nice - and it`s a regular item in the new pricelist released yesterday. Can't wait to get my hands on it. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 6:26 AM, Giray Izcan said:

Yea... 1300 dollars for 1000ft of 35mm... you could be shooting 65mm color negative.. just saying...

Ironic that the film stock meant for the lower end when it was originally released is now the most expensive for it's format, well well well, how the turntables.

• Site Sponsor
11 hours ago, Edith blazek said:

Ironic that the film stock meant for the lower end when it was originally released is now the most expensive for it's format, well well well, how the turntables.

It is fussy to run and E6 chemistry is more complex and gets exhausted faster than ECN so all around it is a miracle that we even have Ektachrome is 2022.