The GE Sunfilled LED bulb, highest SSI I’ve seen

I have a few deakins ring lights I built (with a CNC machine) and finally found some bulbs that are competitive.

Has anyone used these?

hidden gem, thought I’d share this article by Kenny McMillan, he does a very thorough test of several bulbs, check out the results of the GE ones

https://www.provideocoalition.com/evaluating-household-bulbs-for-cinema-use/amp/

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hm - Very interesting! So, interestingly enough, a Lowes here had the GE sunfilled at a discounted price of $2.50 (usually they're around $13). Thanks to this, I went ahead and picked up a bunch with hopes to find some time to DIY something ? Had a gift card so nothing lost!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Joseph Tese said:

Hm - Very interesting! So, interestingly enough, a Lowes here had the GE sunfilled at a discounted price of $2.50 (usually they're around $13). Thanks to this, I went ahead and picked up a bunch with hopes to find some time to DIY something ? Had a gift card so nothing lost!

Yeah, here is what I built:EC324357-AE49-4D14-809A-C39F74A7ECC1.thumb.jpeg.f5d2c830f398246a4b8df62752869992.jpeg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Franklin De Los Santos said:

Yeah, here is what I built:EC324357-AE49-4D14-809A-C39F74A7ECC1.thumb.jpeg.f5d2c830f398246a4b8df62752869992.jpeg

Is the BR30 style lensed differently, to offer more throw? Or is it essentially the same characteristic as the a21, just flagged on the sides?

26 minutes ago, Joseph Tese said:

Is the BR30 style lensed differently, to offer more throw? Or is it essentially the same characteristic as the a21, just flagged on the sides?

The beam angle is narrower yes. I also have a 36 inch ring with regular bulbs and it just spills light all around, I prefer these. Lens is the same

Edited by Franklin De Los Santos

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:43 AM, Joseph Tese said:

Did you end up doing anything with the bulbs?

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Franklin De Los Santos said:

Did you end up doing anything with the bulbs?

Not yet. Ideally I’d find material that works as a blanket intensifier, like the s60 and Gemini 1x1 panels have. That would be the design I find most useful, then I can swap that with something soft if need be as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2022 at 6:06 AM, Joseph Tese said:

Not yet. Ideally I’d find material that works as a blanket intensifier, like the s60 and Gemini 1x1 panels have. That would be the design I find most useful, then I can swap that with something soft if need be as well. 

Guess what I just found out? These work with a Variac! That’s crazy, looks like GE did something, it also works with my satco LEDs, but not with the film specific ones like the astera nyx. Will have to ask a family member who is an electrical engineer to explain, I’m a different kind of engineer unfortunately, really curious 

5733C716-097A-47B3-A646-EDD4D55CEF61.jpeg

26CCC359-4D19-40F2-B1D8-45C875EC844A.jpeg