Autographs and reminiscing about the early 1980's and computers

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I ran by this Time cover this morning. An interesting tidbit from the early days of computing. An autographed cover of Time signed by Steve Jobs. The auction estimate is $15,000 to $25,000.

I'm usually not around famous or noteworthy people, and if I was, I would get photos and not autographs.

M45242-6_1-940x1217.jpg

Internet Photo: Fair Use

When this issue of Time came out, Raiders of the Lost Ark had come out a few months earlier and I was shooting in Thailand and Hong Kong. I wanted to do a project on monsoons, but it was too hard trying to catch monsoon action in 10 days of travel.

monsoon-thailand-copyright-1982-daniel-d

Monsoon Thailand 1982

D.D. Teoli Jr.

Right before my trip overseas my Nikon F was stolen. Being tight on money and needing whatever spare cash I had for my trip I could not replace the Nikon. So, I bought a new Pentax K1000 body for $99 and a used Pentax 50mm lens for $25 at Pan Pacific Camera on La Brea and Melrose. The Pentax and 50mm was what I used for the whole trip and this photo. Before Sammy's, Pan Pacific was the big dog in camera stores for the pros in L.A..

I had no idea that 20 years later almost all my shots from the trip along with much more would be destroyed in a flood in Ohio. I had left a couple of 35mm strips from the trip at my mom's house by mistake. Those are the only few negs that survived. This shot was one of them. I never did get back to Thailand or the Orient to shoot. It was just too expensive.

Although the Apple I had come out in the mid 70's, it was not mainstream as yet. Around 1984 I got my first computer...a Pineapple. That was what they were nicknamed back then. It was a clone of the Apple II. 

Early%20Apple%20&%20Clone%20Computer%20C

Internet Photo eBay: Fair Use

I bought a cheap dot matrix printer for my Pineapple at Federated up near Sunset Blvd. Fred Rated (Shadoe Stevens) was on TV for Federated. The Federated Group was the Circuit City of its day. 

Shadoe%20Stevens%20Fred%20Rated%20Federa

Internet Photos Google Images: Fair Use

...What about you?

What were you up to in the early 80s? 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.