The modeling business...a clip from the 2013 film 'Chasing Beauty' with post processing examples

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Chasing Beauty 2013 gives you a candid look behind the scenes at the modeling business. Here is a clip from it where shows a sample of the post processing they use, and they discuss cat-like beauty standards as well as odd looks to capture attention. The clip finishes with photos of 2 very thin models from the film.

Clip From 'Chasing Beauty' a 2013 film about modeling : D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I never knew they did so much retouching. I figured it was all skin smoothing, not readjusting eyes, cheeks or lengthening the neck. Being a documentary photographer, you can only screw around with a photo so much before it is a lie. I try to keep things pretty honest with digital, similar to what we did in the wet darkroom. Plus, it helps that I don't know how to use Photoshop.

The film goes on to discuss some of the salaries of the highest paid models. One 'supermodel' made $45 million in a year, another made $20 million. And it discusses the origins of the term supermodel as well. Diet is a big deal and discussed a lot. One model ate cotton balls soaked in OJ, another lived on a diet of coffee with whip cream squirted on it for a while then moved onto a 2-week diet of carrots only. 

The film is a really fascinating glimpse into the world of modeling. It also showed me how you can use a slightly wobbly or moving handheld camera for an interview and it does better with jump cuts rather than using a static tripod if you are going to have lots of jump cuts. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.