Cabrio 19-90 - front lens loose

Sean Adl

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used Cabrio 19-90 (v2) from a reputable dealer. All seems to be in good working order. However, when doing some light cleaning on the front lens I noticed a slight 'wobble'.. as in the glass could be moved around. Is this normal? This is my first serious lens (previously been shooting on stills lenses) so not sure whether I should be sending this back to get looked at/repaired.

• Premium Member

If it’s just a filter, they are usually held in by a lock ring which may have come a bit loose in transit. Ideally they are tightened with a lens wrench, but if you’re careful you should be able to tighten it (at least enough to stop the filter wobbling) with your fingernails or two small tools. Then secure it with a dab of matte black nail polish.

Or see if the seller will cover the cost of taking it to a lens technician, it should be a 5 minute job unless something else is amiss, like if the lock ring is cross threaded.

• Premium Member

So is it the whole filter that’s loose or the glass inside the filter?

The lock ring holds the glass in the filter frame, it’s the ring just inside the filter lip with notches. If the glass is loose, you need to tighten that ring. If it won’t do up any further it could be cross threaded.

If the whole filter is loose I would think it just needs to be screwed in properly, no?

23 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

It doesn’t just screw into the front filter thread of the lens?

I feel like an idiot - I just screwed it some more and it tightened. It must have been really loose. I had previously been turning it clockwise and it wasn't tightening - I guess i didn't go far enough.