First time prepping with film, would like advice.

Hey guys,

I’ve been offered my first film job as a 1st AC. It’s a short film and looks like it’s going to be shooting 35mm but no camera decision yet.

I’ve worked a lot with digital and prepping digital cameras but I’m worried I don’t know what I steps I need to take with a film camera. Things like when to do registration tests, scratch test, etc. What to have. Basically what I should look out for. I know a lot of that is going to be based on the exact camera but if I can get a basic idea before that.

Any help would be great. I just don’t want to overlook anything and be as ready for the prep as possible.

Thanks

Edited by Daniel Niefgard
clarity
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

That’s a loaded question my friend! There are a multitude of details to look after from planning the camera package and confirming that you have all of the necessary accessories to making sure that the lenses are properly collimated. There are a couple of books that may be of some help. THE CAMERA ASSISTANT by David Elkins and THE PROFESSIONAL CAMERAMAN’S HANDBOOK by Vern Carlson.
I would say the basic prep includes:

1. Checking the lenses for focus and other optical qualities 

2. Scratch testing the mags

3. steady test the camera body

4. Ground glass collimation

5. Camera speeds properly 

6. All accessories are properly working

There are many other things as well but too many to list here. The real challenge is the rental houses don’t maintain the film cameras like they used to since digital has taken over. They mostly sit on the back shelf these days. Be very particular with your prep tech and the service techs wherever you are prepping. Good luck!

G

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to this, hope if you've had the shoot, it went well. I will say this, as someone who still does at least 1 film job a year. You should always do your best to get your Loader or 2nd if they're doing both, to prep, If you have both, the Loader is the more important 1 to have with you. Especially if you're trying to learn more about the camera. I'm saying this from experience having been a 1st and as an experienced film loader. I've gotten burned because as a Loader I wasn't given a prep day. I told the 1sts and production that if I didn't get a prep, I'm not responsible if there's any issues like scratched mags since I wasn't there and had to hope the 1st did a scratch test. On the 1 job, I was told they would do the scratch test and they didn't. We had 3 scratched mags, didn't know which camera or mag it came from. As a tip, even if I'm not scheduled for the prep, if I can swing by the prep, I will, especially if I don't know the 1sts. On multiple occasions, I have ended up getting at least half day, that's film or digital. But has happened more on film because if the AC doesn't know how, or been while since they loaded film, and the DP asks for some mags to be loaded, that conversation can be made and you get some more money. Just been my experience and thought I'd pass it along.

• Like 1