Would you shoot anything with a slow speed document film?

Have a look at this, for example. Argenti Nanotomic-X:

https://casualphotophile.com/2022/01/31/argenti-nanotomic-x-bw-film-review/

Document films also have some fascinating characteristics. Troop and Anchell, in The Film Developing Cookbook, say they produce ‘the finest grain and highest sharpness the photographic process is capable of.’

When making 8×10″ darkroom prints, even with a grain focuser, I struggled to see grain.

The problem is that it has a polyester base, which I believe is a no-no for motion picture cameras. But that aside, would you shoot it?

You mean use it as cine film or just photography?

Most of docu films come without perforation, speed range is 6-25 and have horrible contrast - it is designed to be like that to produce sheer black-and-white image. Have to mention spools (core) differ from that of arri type (so you need to respool it) and few of them are panchromatic. If you are OK with all above - go for it. I do lot of doku negatives of many types for photography, but have to say it's a challenge.

Edited by Piotr Wołoszyk

The concept has intrigued me, especially for super-8 and its very small frame.

Nearly 14 years ago @Simon Wyss spoke highly of Gigabitfilm that was also available as a MP stock. In this old thread Simon tells they tested the stock without issues in motion picture film cameras. It seems that the Gigabitfilm website still exists and has been updated back in 2020. Simon could probably tell if 16mm stock is still available - while I might not be bold enough to run it in my ACL, I have a spring wound non-reflex camera that might be a great match for it...

Edited by Heikki Repo

Very interesting OP! Never thought about it.

No doubt Freestyle would have sold it back in the 70's. They specialized in repackaged films back then. I mean maybe they wouldn't have, but they could have. They sold anything for $$.

None of the sample enlargements at the site impressed me OP. Digital is far sharper. Why don't you get some of that film OP and do a proper field rundown on it?

I got something like that recently OP. Tru-Vue films. Not microfilm, but reminds me of it, it is so tightly wound.

s-l1600.jpg

eBay Photo: Fair Use

My Tru-Vue films are a collection of various burlesque theaters / performers. Very rare stuff. Now just have to flatten it out to scan!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.