RIP Fritz Gabriel Bauer

David Sekanina

• Premium Member

While inspecting his beautiful Moviecam movement today, out of curiosity I googled him again, as I tried to get in contact with him two years ago via LinkedIn, only to find out that he passed away last November.

The Moviecams are such beautiful pieces of engineering!

mo.thumb.jpg.9db56f947c7b7f9f58ab69dc211ba752.jpg

Edited by David Sekanina
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

People don't realize, but Bauer was basically the inventor of the modern sync sound studio 35mm camera. 

He didn’t have much to do with a Panaflex, but sure, the mechanics of the Arricam design is pretty much from him. Not the electronics though. He was quite a genius, but no-one invents something as complicated as a 35mm sync sound camera from scratch, he built on the shoulders of many other designers before him. 

7 hours ago, David Sekanina said:

While inspecting his beautiful Moviecam movement today, out of curiosity I googled him again, as I tried to get in contact with him two years ago via LinkedIn, only to find out that he passed away last November.

The Moviecams are such beautiful pieces of engineering!

Those movements are truly wonderful, I agree.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

So many clever ideas in one camera:

the ease on how to adjust the loops without fiddling the film onto the next sprocket

the beautiful mechanism that lets you slide back the movement without losing sync with the mirror

the displacement magazines of the SL are marvelous too

And most of the ideas were there at the beginning, with the Super America, and then got refined and more compact with every new iteration of the camera.

563366363.thumb.JPG.1a57c73245577b755b21100dfa554a5c.JPG

• Like 1