Creative way to use a busted lens

Vital Butinar

Hi everyone.

I personally don't have much gear just some basics because we usually rent.

But I do have a couple of Rokinon cine lenses that we use for really small or our own stuff.

I've had this 35mm Rokinon Cine lens that has had some problems in the past with the focus being too loose which I was able to fix a couple of years ago.
But when it turned up again and tried to fix it again wasn't able to and needed it to shoot something. So I just picked up another cine lens and shoved the Rokinon in the corner.

Now I've been playing with it and trying to fix it but I guess the guiding channels for the focus are just to warn out to fix and honestly it's not worth fixing.

At the same time since I'm a bit of a tinkerer I've been trying to find a way to use the busted lens and find a creative way to use it.

Anyone have any idea what to do with it so that it would be still usable for something? ?

Best regards to all.

Can't say about creative use. But many of my still camera lenses suffer from loose focus rings and some have loose aperture rings. I use gaffers tape to fix focus for zone focus shots. Such as working in the dark with IR flash in crowds. The adjustments can change easily from bumps or rubbing.

For IR flash I don't change focus much, so it works fine. Same with aperture, I use one aperture generally and change the flash power. So, I can work fine with fixed focus and fixed aperture. You can tape things down for any use, but it may not work well for other types of shooting that need constant adjustments. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Can't say about creative use. But many of my still camera lenses suffer from loose focus rings and some have loose aperture rings. I use gaffers tape to fix focus for zone focus shots. Such as working in the dark with IR flash in crowds. The adjustments can change easily from bumps or rubbing.

For IR flash I don't change focus much, so it works fine. Same with aperture, I use one aperture generally and change the flash power. So, I can work fine with fixed focus and fixed aperture. You can tape things down for any use, but it may not work well for other types of shooting that need constant adjustments. 

Thanks Daniel.

The problem is that I took the lens apart and some of the parts are really busted. So there's not much left of the focus and aperture system. 

I'm planing to fool around with it anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if there's something that can be done without having to experiment what can be done. ?

The original problem was that there are plastic guide channels inside and some even more plastic guide cylinders stuck together with really cheap screws and with time all of them get degraded by time. 
I was able to fix it to a degree the first time and the second time but the last time it was way too degraded and I needed the lens so I got another lens. 

But I'm trying to figure out a way to use the optics since the might still be usable. ?