Bolex H-16 Reflex with SOM Berthiot 17.5-70

Víctor Aires

Hello. I’m new on the 16mm world and I just bought a Bolex H-16 Reflex with SOM Berthiot 17.5-70 2.4 with the dog leg attachment to it and I know that with non-reflex lenses you have to meter the light in a different way on reflex cameras. So I would like to ask you for advice on what would be the best way to meter the light when I shoot. Also, do I view through the Bolex viewfinder or the dog leg attachment on the lens?

7953351A-9855-465A-99FF-D12A00FEF7AD.jpeg

You have to put the lens in the middle position, not on the uppermost. Then I guess it is better to see through the lens viewfinder. It might be a bigger image. However you can also use the other one. My advise is to sell that zoom and get prime lenses. Take advantage of the reflex!

Overexpose 1/3 of a stop.

Unsure of current prices, although it's a very useful lens for a non-reflex H16 owner.  However, I'd be tempted to keep it, as the viewfinder is so much brighter and bigger than the one in the round-based H16RX.  Can be handy sometimes, though the focusing method won't be the same, relying on split image (if your lens has this) which hopefully is accurate.  Position to horizontal is of course done by simply turning the back of the lens-mount by a few degrees. You may have the Bolex tool for doing this.