Photo scanners vs cine scanners: I want to see an experiment and I'm willing to help fund it

In the real world, regardless of specifications, photographic scanning is terrible. The labs don't give you anything like a DPX file, and they use scanners which do not seem to show the film's best qualities. Every time I see a scanned frame of 8mm or 16mm, I'm amazed. They are better than 135 files from scanners like Noritsus or Pakons. So I wonder, is anyone willing to try an experiment?

Here's the basic deal: get a good camera. Put a really good lens on it. E.g. Nikon F5 with a Zeiss Otus 55mm. Shoot a variety of 35mm emulsions in a variety of lighting conditions. Scan them all on both a photo scanner and a cine scanner. Compare and contrast the results.

Maybe this is all moot, because no photo lab that I know of is going to use a cine grade scanner. But, if someone wants to perform this experiment, I'll help fund it if we get at least one or two others to help. It shouldn't cost that much. Maybe it might inspire someone to start a photo lab that scans film properly for once.

I have both a Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 and 35mm Vision3 200T & 500T scanned with a cine scanner (Silbersalz35). I could scan some frames with my own scanner and compare them. I'd just have to get film strip containers and get scissoring, since currently that film is on a core!

2 hours ago, David Sekanina said:

Silbersalz uses a Cintel Blackmagic scanner - not a great scanner

Ah, right. I hadn't realized it was the Blackmagic scanner. Well, should be even more interesting to compare the scans. The LS-2000 isn't a drum scanner either, but definitely better than flatbeds and has higher resolution than the Pakon.

• Site Sponsor

Most Cine scanners won't scan the 8-perf stills / VistaVision format 35mm, some will like my Spirit 2k/4K series but the Scan Station won't nor will the BMD. So you would have to shoot with a Pen-F or similar half frame camera or scan half frames and do some stitching to compare.

• Premium Member

hmmm.. curious

this is from their FAQ on their website: what are the techical specs of my scans?

21.4 Megapixels, 13 stops of dynamic range and 16 bit color depth.

JPG, JP2 and JP2 RAW files.

Your images are scanned using our state-of-the-art Cintel scanners. RAW files are converted into JPG and JP2 files using our unique SILBERSALZ35 color science.

28 minutes ago, David Sekanina said:

hmmm.. curious

this is from their FAQ on their website: what are the techical specs of my scans?

21.4 Megapixels, 13 stops of dynamic range and 16 bit color depth.

JPG, JP2 and JP2 RAW files.

Your images are scanned using our state-of-the-art Cintel scanners. RAW files are converted into JPG and JP2 files using our unique SILBERSALZ35 color science.

Yes, somehow that lead me to think of the non-BMD Cintel originally. Could they have some kind DIY modified Cintel?

8 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Most Cine scanners won't scan the 8-perf stills / VistaVision format 35mm, some will like my Spirit 2k/4K series but the Scan Station won't nor will the BMD. So you would have to shoot with a Pen-F or similar half frame camera or scan half frames and do some stitching to compare.

That could work for sure. It's about comparing like with like, so format isn't that important.