Kodak 200T for exteriors?

Anders Ledin

• Premium Member

As opposed to what other stock for exteriors? Daylight 50D and 250D?

200T for exteriors and 500T for interiors is or was a fairly common practice, especially once 100T was discontinued. I wouldn't necessarily say it was always an artistic choice, it's just that 200T is a bit finer-grained than 500T and a lot of people want their day scenes to be a bit cleaner than their dark interior or night scenes.

I think Roger Deakins and Emmanuel Lubezki are known for their preference for tungsten-balanced stocks and rarely using filters, even an 85 filter while outdoors. Their films would be a good start if you want examples of tungsten-balanced film being used for exteriors (besides the fact that they're two of the most respected cinematographers in the world, so anything they make is worth watching anyways), though bear in mind the color cast is being corrected later. If you're wanting cases where the bluish-cast was retained for creative reasons, a simple search on Vimeo might yield examples of this.

I'm just a hobbyist, but I have had a little experience playing with 200T in daylight (with an 85 filter). Here's a film I shot in 2019 to test some older stock I'd bought on Ebay.

Later, I tried pulling this stuff 1 stop and the results were pleasing. The grain was a bit finer. Unless you're interested in the railroad grade, you probably want to skip forward to about the halfway point. Also, I acknowledge that the editing of the first minute could use some clean-up.