my reel

Jody Lipes

Guest david west

Jody,

if you rename the file without any spaces or apostrophes then more people can download and view your reel...

and even after i did dl it i couldnt find the right codec for some reason.....

• Premium Member

The reel looks really good. I like its pacing because it lets you really SEE the shots, but it might not fly if you're pushing for a more up-tempo and gimmicky job like sports videography, music video, or maybe even documentary. I like your shot selections, which present you as a well-rounded cinematographer. Kudos.

Hello,

I will start by saying that I have seen a lot of demo reels, I watched them for a producer friend of mine for a while, I have seen ones from people of all levels (including highly respected union DPs). I found your demo reel to be the best I have seen EVER, including my own unfortunately. Your style is very artistic and distinct, very much how I like things to look. Also you have agood mixture of shots; dollies, close-ups etc..

The one criticism I would have is the music, I like rap/hip-hop but feel that it detracts a bit from the images because of the beat. Also in general the editing/pace is very good but there are a couple of shots/cuts that are a bit jarring, for example there is a shot of a little boy, that looks like it may have been shot on DV, which took me out of it, it is also not as strong, in my opinion, as the rest of the images.

In General I think you should be really proud of your work and your reel!!, If I ever decide to direct something and not shoot it myself I might have to give you a call.

Cheers.

Beautiful stuff. Masterful lighting. This will stand out from other reels just from the quality of the work - importance of music, editing, etc. are minimalized by the strength of the images.

I didn't particularly like the music. I also think it could be cut better to go with the rhythms of the music. I like the slow pace that allows the images to be viewed, however may be a bit slow paced for some. Again - none of these strike me as that important given the quality of work.

The one thing I would definitely do: take out the image of the boy (I'm sure you know which one) it doesn't match the tone of the rest of the reel. Tone ('your style' so to speak) is one of your great strengths.

Well done... best reel I've seen.

• Premium Member

Nice. Good use of wides and natural light. I'm impressed.

Only complaint is that it dips a bit towards the end and the shot selection becomes less precise. I'd drop the man jumping in the pool, the DV footage of a boy and some of the shots of the two young girls.

• 2 weeks later...

hi jody

i played it maybe 10 times!! and it's in my favorites: beautiful !

the editing is smooth and the compositions are great

it sounds like you have about less than 5 differents films on this reel

could you tell us more about this vacation film, is it a feature, do you confirm it's 35mm?