Cintel DSX

Gregor Queck

I've never used one myself, but we have worked with footage scanned on one using the OSCAR feature (the "digital wet gate"). My feeling was that it was overly aggressive, and there were a *lot* of artifacting issues. In the end we asked the client to have it re-scanned with the "wet gate" stuff turned off, and we were able to much more effectively clean up the film in Phoenix.

Personally, I think the scan is the wrong time to try to do cleanup - creation of a dust map for use later in restoration tools is fine, but using something like Digital ICE to clean up the film while scanning is, in my opinion, a big mistake. It's far from perfect, and those artifacts become a permanent part of the scan. I've yet to find a restoration tool that works correctly 100% of the time. There always has to be some human intervention to catch the mistakes. It's probably worse with an older system like the DSX. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Perry Paolantonio said:

I've never used one myself, but we have worked with footage scanned on one using the OSCAR feature (the "digital wet gate"). My feeling was that it was overly aggressive, and there were a *lot* of artifacting issues. In the end we asked the client to have it re-scanned with the "wet gate" stuff turned off, and we were able to much more effectively clean up the film in Phoenix.

Personally, I think the scan is the wrong time to try to do cleanup - creation of a dust map for use later in restoration tools is fine, but using something like Digital ICE to clean up the film while scanning is, in my opinion, a big mistake. It's far from perfect, and those artifacts become a permanent part of the scan. I've yet to find a restoration tool that works correctly 100% of the time. There always has to be some human intervention to catch the mistakes. It's probably worse with an older system like the DSX. 

Thank you, very insightful!

So the software has caught up with the old solutions.
Makes sense, as it uses motion vectors, which Oscar is clearly not.

Digital ICE can create more issues than you start with. Here are 2 hi-res examples for you to download.

Examples of image loss from Epson ICE scan D.D. Teoli Jr. A.C. : Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Other times ICE it can work pretty good. See first beatnik girl in post:

NSFW

An example of Epson Digital ICE Technology for film scanning restoration – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection (wordpress.com)

• Upvote 1