Also about infrared cinematography...or something similar.

Does anyone have experience with filters that have a similar color shifting effect as IR photography (I mean, as much as possible) -  without using a modified camera? I know that there are filters that only let through light of a certain wavelength (550nm,630nm...) but it seems like I will still need to get rid of that internal IR filter first... I am trying to figure out the best way to do some special shots without carrying around a second IR-modified Alexa...

Just curious if anyone came across some interesting color filters (or filter combinations) that might also do the job.

Also appreciate other thoughts on that topic.

• 3 weeks later...

What range of infrared are you looking to emulate?

It'd probably be best done in effects for any range of the IR spectrum with how it all behaves. Somehting like aerochrome is best emulated now since foliage has a shift but not everything green will be emissive in infrared. If it's monochrome, you see a shift with foliage and other things being much brighter than a visible spectrum monochrome image.

From what I remember with some color infrared you get color inversions for some things and personally, I know of no physical filter that will make just foliage color invert and have the effect in the sky regions.

If you had one with the IR filter removed you can just use an external IR blocking filter the rest of the time. It might not be as convenient but it at least allows the shift between both with one camera.

Oh, and digital cameras will see infrared a little different than infrared film did since the digital sensor will just see a more red while film would have some more complex chemistry to do a false color reaction to the infrared.

• Thanks 1

Do something in post. 

Never used filters, they really block the light. At least for 850nm BW. I use a converted camera. You can convert a cheap camera, you don't have to spend a fortune. 

Post a still or clip of what you are after. Words only go so far. If you want those freaky IR colors , they do it by channel swapping in post...or some such thing. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Depends on what you mean by IR photography, are you trying to get the weird colors of the Aerochrome IR film process (red-orange trees, etc.) or the look of b&w IR (green trees go white, skies go black, etc.)

The Panasonic Varicams have some ability to switch out the internal IR-cut filter. 

As Daniel suggests, just get an IR-converted mirrorless camera. Life Pixel will convert one for $300 or you can buy one already converted.

It may be possible to create the effect in post by separating the color channels and playing with them, swapping them, etc.

• Thanks 1