Daylight-balanced film under interior lighting and vice-versa

Good morning, afternoon, or evening cinematography.com!

I am currently reading a book about color in cinema and stumbled upon the Ds and the Ts. The color temperature of interior lights like tungsten is 2800K (yellow) while natural light has one of 5000-6500K (white/slightly blue), which is kinda mindblowing to think about because I have always perceived the lights at my home or stores or any interior lightings as white light. The book states that the human eye kind of tricks itself into seeing these 2800k tungsten yellow light as white, however cameras are not as advanced and should be balanced to keep with what human eyes see.

My question therefore is, as I haven't seen this asked anywhere, what would it look like if you shot D film under interior lighting and T film under daylight? I could only theorize that with the D film under interior, it would be able to capture the true 2800k tungsten yellow color of the light while the T film would show daylit stuff as more blue than they should be.

Cheers!

Daylight film in tungsten environment will be very warm...its just the opposite effect of tungsten film in daylight . if you have a digital camera or even an iphone you can whitebalance to exterior lighting and then look at a house lamp and see the difference.

If you start looking at lighting and pay attention you'll notice the warmth of tungsten. especially in places where it contrasts with daylight. Notice how at twilight the sky appears cool/blue but peoples house lights look warm.

of course now with LED and Fluorescent lights this isn't always the case as their are many different colors of LED and Fluorescent

• Upvote 1