Super 8 blown up to 16 mm film looks like?

Below is an illustration of a rough estimate of the resolutions of Super 8 and 16 mm Perforated One Edge films.

blow-up.png.2870b34889d220b8199153ecb4dc0ad1.png

I would like to ask: does the Super 8 film take on the aspect ratio of the blow-up or like does its ratio remain the same just that the resolution is higher? Sorry I'm confused, but what is also the aspect ratio of 16 mm Perforated One Edge film (Kodak Print Film 3383/3302)? 1.37, 1.66, 1.85?

And then...here's a very dumb question:

blow-up.png.cf924df5bc4ea0df9f1e38aca5041e38.png

Is there a way to print four Super 8 films onto the 16mm print film? If I had to guess, it should be done digitally with Avid, but is there possibly a way to make this happen manually/physically using the more traditional/old equipments? I'm really sorry if this question does not make any sense.

• Premium Member

There is only one optical printer (that I'm aware of) for super 8 in the world. I think it's in the Netherlands or something like that. They split 35mm print stock and re-perforate it. They can actually stripe mag track onto print stock as well. Most of modern super 8 prints have been done by them. 

Recording onto 16mm is easy, that's the way to do it honestly. Doing it photochemically won't be really possible without a lot of testing and building machines that simply don't exist today. 

• Like 3

• Site Sponsor

You could do that on an optical printer like a JK but you would be looking at ding four passes onto the 16mm, one for each S8 quadrant. It would take some time to setup and impliment and any error would put you back to step one on it.

Or you could have a compnay like mine do a filmout to 16mm of the sequence.

• Like 2

Thank you Tyler and Robert for your answers! I frankly do not know how to respond because I have zero (0) knowledge on this topic, therefore I shall read up on these as soon as possible; it's actually really cool to know that it's possible so now it's imperative for me to learn them! Thank you again Tyler and Robert!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, Robert Houllahan said:

You could do that on an optical printer like a JK but you would be looking at ding four passes onto the 16mm, one for each S8 quadrant. It would take some time to setup and impliment and any error would put you back to step one on it.

Or you could have a compnay like mine do a filmout to 16mm of the sequence.

Have you done any samples to show us?

On 2/25/2022 at 7:16 PM, Joshua Robert Dy said:

Thank you Tyler and Robert for your answers! I frankly do not know how to respond because I have zero (0) knowledge on this topic, therefore I shall read up on these as soon as possible; it's actually really cool to know that it's possible so now it's imperative for me to learn them! Thank you again Tyler and Robert!!!

If you ever get anything done, send in some samples to see the results.