Too bad scanners are not more mainstream like the Cintel Blackmagic

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

You could buy one at B&H and have a selection to choose from. Of course, Perry will say this is not based on any kind of reality. (And he would be pretty much correct.) 

blackmagic design cintel scanner | B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

1607512887_1607797.jpg

If scanners were more mainstream, you could go to B&H and pick up what you need.

You want sound...boom...B&H for $3500.

1509708010_1330609.jpg

Now all they need for the capstan driven Cintel, to make it suitable for the archivist, is a warped film gate and a better sensor (as people have told me here.) Another issue is all these items are special order and non-refundable. So, you have to be careful about not adding to the paperweight collection.

I wonder why FilmFabriek has not approached B&H about selling their scanner?

It is small and a suitable addition to their family. Especially their 8mm scanner. From reading FF's site, they had some issues with getting electronic parts, but they said they are back in action.

fetch?id=3198&d=1580418458

I don't have a lot of 8mm to scan, maybe 300 - 400 reels. I hate 8mm. 16mm is bad enough quality, but 8mm is really bad. (Of course, I'm talking archival material and especially the old multi-gen stag films.) I had another 400 8mm reels in the Archive but got rid of them. Too low I.Q to waste time on. I've got bigger fish to fry...

56.jpg

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Confused 2