WTB: 35MM/65MM SHORT ENDS

Shen Tao

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Jeremy Saltry said:

Scott and Roger are solid. For sure worth reaching out. 

Can't beat Kodak anymore, I haven't bought film so cheap in nearly a decade! Its insanity! Fresh re-can's for almost half price. I mean less than 6 month old stock, refrigerated it's whole life, full roll re-can's both 35mm and 16mm for just a little more than half price. Total game changer and they now get all the big movies re can's because they work it into the original purchase deal for film for the production. 

I get what you’re saying. The more options we all have as artists and filmmakers the better. 

Scott and Roger have taken care of me for my entire career (as they have you and many others) and are amazing people that will move mountains to get things done.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Jeremy Saltry said:

I get what you’re saying. The more options we all have as artists and filmmakers the better. 

Yep! If you can still get great deals from Scott and Roger, that's awesome! I dealt with them for years as well, they provided film for 3 of my last 35mm projects. However, Kodak currently has the best deal. For me, it comes down to the lowest price, whoever has that price, wins the bid sadly. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

it comes down to the lowest price, 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, Duncan Brown said:

There's a Hollywood office listed at the top of page 2 here:

Ordering via phone? AD 2022? Looks like old good '80, but today it's kinda extravaganza going off-line and underground.

I disagree price is the decider - it's about availability. I've tried to reach Kodak Polska using contacts given on Kodak's official site - no response, they seem to be down. Last week I received my films from UK (which is no longer in Europe, as you know), despite customs, intl shipment  and taxes still worth bothering. I'd buy in LA but, have mercy, not by phone!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Piotr Wołoszyk said:

Ordering via phone? AD 2022? Looks like old good '80, but today it's kinda extravaganza going off-line and underground.

Good point, but that's Kodak - they have basically always operated by phone.  I guess that is why people will pay so much more money for the same film other places (ebay, https://filmphotographystore.com/ etc) that they can click a few buttons and get it, because they have simply forgotten how to pick up a phone and order directly from Kodak.

Kodak did briefly sell movie film through their online consumer store (you know, the place you can buy Kodak t-shirts and stuff) but when they stopped doing that, that whole database was inaccessible to the people you call on the phone, so I couldn't have them just look up my last order and send it to the same place again.

Duncan

12 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yep! If you can still get great deals from Scott and Roger, that's awesome! I dealt with them for years as well, they provided film for 3 of my last 35mm projects. However, Kodak currently has the best deal. For me, it comes down to the lowest price, whoever has that price, wins the bid sadly. 

Every production or budget or shoot is different. Going back to options. There is a lot more that factors into something besides cost. Even more so if you’re looking at a net cost or a true cost. Availability is at the top of the list. 

With respect. What works for you, might not for someone else. Again. Options. Especially ones that have been doing it for 30 years. 

Edited by Jeremy Saltry
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Piotr Wołoszyk said:

I disagree price is the decider - it's about availability.

Well obviously in a discussion about short ends and re-can's, you aren't quoted unless there is stock.

It's not like new stock, where there is a set price and you order it. Without stock, there is no price. 

You can never rely on re-can's or short ends, they come and go from every vendor. 

If you need help buying stock, I'm more then happy to procure some for you. 

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, Jeremy Saltry said:

Every production or budget or shoot is different. Going back to options. There is a lot more that factors into something besides cost. Even more so if you’re looking at a net cost or a true cost. Availability is at the top of the list. 

Well sure, but that's not what we're discussing. We're discussing short-ends and re-can's. Neither one of them has any consistency. 

If you take into account new stock, then the discussion changes. I work with many filmmakers who only use new stock. I personally only use new stock on 16mm, its not worth the slight discount for the risk. 

Availability of film stock in the US is not a problem anymore. You can get it next day air shipped to anywhere. 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Piotr Wołoszyk said:

Yet another reason to have updated offer online, me thinks :}

Oh by the time they get them in, they're gone. They literally are gone same day. They don't even have a digital list of what they have, it's hand written notes because it's gone so fast.