Do I need a spot meter?

Hi All.

I'm a new cinematographer.

I watched this video (https://youtu.be/ovmvF9n2Bt8) about exposure and it said about using spot meters. Usually I just expose by eye and get generally good results. I was wondering if spot metering is important, and is industry standard? 

I found the video a bit confusing towards the end. Also I wondered, if I do indeed need one, where can I get one for under £200 (I'm in the UK). They seem to be expensive!

Many thanks in advance,

Lewis 

If shooting video or digital formats, it's very unlikely that you'll need a spot meter. An incident meter is handy if you're doing a lot of lighting, especially on larger or more complex set ups, you can also use this to set the exposure, but even then it's possible to work without one. These digital cameras have their own displays in the viewfinder and having a correctly set up monitor aids lighting a scene.

I had a spot meter when shooting film, but it rarely got used, the incident meter was the workhorse.

3 minutes ago, Brian Drysdale said:

If shooting video or digital formats, it's very unlikely that you'll need a spot meter. An incident meter is handy if you're doing a lot of lighting, especially on larger or more complex set ups, you can also use this to set the exposure, but even then it's possible to work without one. These digital cameras have their own displays in the viewfinder and having a correctly set up monitor aids lighting a scene.

I had a spot meter when shooting film, but it rarely got used, the incident meter was the workhorse.

Thanks Brian for your response!

I've been doing some gaffing lately on small sets with digital cameras and I've wondered if I need an incident meter just to be on top of things when the DP asks for a change. It seems like I can get by without one as I've learned generally what I need to do to raise or lower a light's output a stop or two. But I'm green still, and I don't want to be caught off guard if a DP asks for something specific.

Are there instances anyone has had on set where they were glad they had a light meter and knew how to use it?