If you want a volunteer unit stills photographer for your low or zero budget film...

If you have a low, very low or zero budget production and you need a stills photographer then I'd like to volunteer (assuming it's legal to do so).

I live in the Melbourne Metro but I don't mind moving around within reason. I will be self sufficient and will not be claiming any expenses. 2022 is a completely open year, just like the few that came before, and I'd like to do something productive with all my free time.

The only condition is that the shoot doesn't go on forever. Otherwise, your production has permanent, non-exclusive rights to the photos, and I get to add to my portfolio. If need be, I don't mind occasionally doing other stuff on set.

Up to now I've done a lot of theatre but no film/TV, and I'd love to try it. FWIW I don't use blimps, but my cameras have electronic shutters.

My portfolios are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kdghantous/albums/with/72157666324345424

https://www.instagram.com/kdghantous/

Thanks for your consideration!

Nice photos! My only suggestion is try for more sharpness. Nice otherwise.

You may get more action for a job if you advertise at home or at film / art schools. 

Too bad Sony didn't make their silent shutter work with flash. That was the drawback with infrared flash photography. I could have had a silent camera with invisible flash. Then all you need is skill and boom! But a 'normal person' does not want their flash to work in silent mode....but, I'm not normal!

Another interesting project is to get inside artist's studios and document their work / lives. One night I was wondering around and met a guy named Steezus Khrist. (Or some such name.) He was in interesting kid. Said he likes to graffiti railroad cars. I talked with him for about 10 minutes, trying to set up a shoot date. For the full 10 minutes he circled me talking and would not stand still. I offered to do some shooting of his life, but never heard from him.

Same deal with a cutter gal I met named 'Buffalo.' Nothing. I also tried to do something with a 'picked face' crack whore for some shooting at her home...Nothing. She just couldn't understand what I wanted.

People don't come through nowadays. They already are self-sufficient with their cell phone cams and their $29 inkjet printer from Walmart. Or they are too drugged up. Plus, I'm old. young people like young people...unless they want something from you.

Does not matter. I can shoot as much as I like on the street. (Or used to until I hurt my foot.)

Good luck in finding some jobs / projects. A photog needs to shoot! If you have downtime and nothing to shoot...shoot your TV!

godzilla-d-d-teoli-jr-24.jpg?w=768

The Godzilla – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection (wordpress.com)

Great exercise for on-the-fly comp and timing.

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Daniel, thank you for your generous remarks, your suggestions and your experiences. You are not wrong about shooting the TV. It does test your sense of timing, if not composition.

These days I shoot birds and tiny bugs to keep myself busy. It's quite fun, and I recommend it to anyone who wants something different to do in between jobs.

You also have a point about people who want something from you. But, that is not a problem for me, personally. People who don't know how to give are going to find themselves having a harder time getting anything done. There is also the problem of people not sticking to their word. That's going to pinch them in the end.

I did advertise on RedUser as well. There are some people I know who might have some leads - we will see!

As for sharp images, I'm always open to critique of any kind, but all the files at full resolution are pretty sharp. Unless there are a few I can't think of that are in fact a touch soft. I never sharpen images as there is no utility in doing so (not to mention the fact that it exaggerates noise). A decent lens and accurate focus are all one needs, whether for film or for digital.

• Premium Member

Hey Karim,

Feel free to shoot me a PM with your mobile number/email, and I can pass them on to the producers the next time I have something suitable pop up in Melbourne ?

Cheers

• Like 1