Krasnogorsk-3 seller warning in Russia

Donald Milne

Last April (2021) I purchased a Krasnogorsk-3 camera from the seller Max Ivanov (STHTRIHFILM) in Russia, whose 16MM K-3 modifications have been discussed on these forums.  I never received the 16mm camera, but instead was told in July I would get a refund, but it would take a few weeks.  I was then told it would take longer, and since then I have not received the camera or the refund, and it has almost been a year, with no explanations.

I ask that people on this forum do not refer to STHTRIHFILM as a legitimate business.  I have seen the pictures posted on the Instagram for STHTRIHFILM, and they appear to be making impressive modifications to K-3 cameras, but they do not deserve anyone's business if they steal from even a single customer.  Please do not contribute to their theft by posting about Max Ivanov as a legitimate seller, since you will only be leading other potential 16mm camera buyers to be ripped off as I was.

Thank you.

Here is a copy of my order:

STHTRIHFILM .jpg

• Premium Member

Yep total scam artist, we've had many posts on here from people with similar issues. 

I doubt with the current economic climate you'll see your money back sadly. 

It's really unfortunate because he had some great upgrades/mods available and now the K3 is probably dead. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

in current political+economical climate it is pretty impossible to get anything shipped from Russia or move money to /from there. It would be difficult to get any money back even from a legitimate seller, let alone from a scam artist.

Most things in Russia tend to be impossible to arrange unless you have friends or friend's friends who you can ask favors from and then you can help them later when they have an issue which needs to be resolved.   the "normal routes" for doing things do not work in Russia...      I would expect there being a change of getting your money back if you know couple of persons from there who happen to know someone who knows the "scam artist" and can arrange your money back via unofficial routes ("you would not steal from my friend would you, now give his money to me and I will send it back to him to the States via my friend who lives in EU")

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yep total scam artist, we've had many posts on here from people with similar issues. 

I doubt with the current economic climate you'll see your money back sadly. 

It's really unfortunate because he had some great upgrades/mods available and now the K3 is probably dead. 

Interesting that other people have posted about Max Ivanov being a fraud on here, yet I have seen posts about him that have no mention of the fact that he is ripping people off.  He still gets likes on Instagram, which is difficult to understand.

How is the K3 dead now?  Do you mean the market for the K3 will dry up?

Oh, and look at this smug individual who steals from filmmakers. He should be embarrassed to show his face on Instagram:

MaxIvanov.jpg

• Premium Member
On 3/8/2022 at 5:36 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

I don’t think we’ve had many complaints at all actually, from memory I think all of the posts about Max not returning money are from Donald. Feel free to dig up some others posts to back yourself up. Not that one unhappy customer should be dismissed, but labelling someone a “total scam artist” and suggesting there are many posters here with similar complaints when there actually aren’t is pretty irresponsible. 

I understand Donald’s frustration, but things can get complicated with small businesses trying to r&d a product. It’s no excuse for not refunding someone, and I’m not defending him, but I’m not sure Max has been deliberately ripping people off. He may have just gotten into financial strife. He certainly seems to have put a lot of effort into actually modding cameras. Now that Russia is effectively a pariah state I doubt we’ll hear much more about his projects though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I don’t think we’ve had many complaints at all actually, from memory I think all of the posts about Max not returning money are from Donald. Feel free to dig up some others posts to back yourself up. Not that one unhappy customer should be dismissed, but labelling someone a “total scam artist” and suggesting there are many posters here with similar complaints when there actually aren’t is pretty irresponsible. 

I understand Donald’s frustration, but things can get complicated with small businesses trying to r&d a product. It’s no excuse for not refunding someone, and I’m not defending him, but I’m not sure Max has been deliberately ripping people off. He may have just gotten into financial strife. He certainly seems to have put a lot of effort into actually modding cameras. Now that Russia is effectively a pariah state I doubt we’ll hear much more about his projects though. 

Financial strife or not, when he sends emails of false promises of refunds, then stops communicating, he is no different than a scam artist, and deserves to be categorized as such.  He is no different than a thief who takes people's money and does not return it.

• Upvote 1

It is unfortunate when a seller misrepresents their items or even worse, uses distance as an excuse to blithely ignore decency, ie refunding money or items.

I have been buying from sellers in Russia, Ukraine, and a few other old Russian states for a while and I have been pretty happy with the results.  I have found that as long as one clarifies what one needs, ask questions, and be forgiving of google translations, then most of the sellers are good to deal with.

One thing I have learnt from purchasing online, do not buy camera equipment from humid /tropical areas unless you can see high quality photos.... I have found oxidisation, fungus, and heavy corrosion on items that have not been scrupulously looked after.

• Like 2