What could have this video been DI'ed on?

Jack Jin

This is a japanese music video shot around 2000, but the colors look very interesting and almost print film like and switches to a cold and desaturated palette midway through, any idea how and what equipment they could have achieved this look on? Thank you very much.

The quality is very low resolution (youtube says 360p) so its hard to analyze it.

That said if this was shot around 2000 it would have almost definitely been shot on either Film, the Sony Cine Alta (f900), or maybe a Viper Film Stream... those were really the only options around then for high level production.

The sequence of the girl walking is shot in extreme slow motion and is lit artificially with a large light, which allowed them to underexpose the background, which is the key to that look.

the de saturated footage looks digital, could be something lower end then the F900...maybe a varicam? the look is simple to achieve I'd say through post color grading these days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Albion Hockney said:

The quality is very low resolution (youtube says 360p) so its hard to analyze it.

That said if this was shot around 2000 it would have almost definitely been shot on either Film, the Sony Cine Alta (f900), or maybe a Viper Film Stream... those were really the only options around then for high level production.

The sequence of the girl walking is shot in extreme slow motion and is lit artificially with a large light, which allowed them to underexpose the background, which is the key to that look.

the de saturated footage looks digital, could be something lower end then the F900...maybe a varicam? the look is simple to achieve I'd say through post color grading these days.

the f900 is a contender, but ism't the viper from 2004? Also, where there is bokeh i don't see any signature rainbow bokeh from the 3ccd on the f900, so I think it's film? But no idea what telecine/scanner/colorgrading suite could be on, the lighting is super interesting though!

That is 35mm FUJI, shot at 32fps. Historical context is important, here. This song was released as a single on January 17, 2001. Look at the fall foilage in the background. This was probably shot in October 2000, allowing enough time to edit and color correct for a January release. There were no decent in camera digital slow motion options, available at that time. You will find that film was still needed to replicate smooth slow motion at that time. I noticed this clearly when watching movies/TV at that time. You'd be watching digital footage, then BAM!! 35mm slow motion. David. Finches still continued shooting 35mm on 'THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTONS'(mostly shot on the VIPER) for slow motion sequences. The Asian skin tone depth is one of the hallmarks of FUJI filmstocks.

Look closely at the party scene. Strobe lights were used. That would have caused artifacts with digital cameras of the time. The style of this music video borrows heavily from American high budget hiphop and R&B music videos from the late 90's/early 2000's. Basically anything directed by Chris Robinson and Hype Williams.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1