Jump to content

Arriscan film scanner price list / brochure


Recommended Posts

Don't know how up to date it is with prices and equipment, but this is what I got.

Arriscan 2019 05 US Archive Technologies : D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Kinda confused about the IR dust cleaner. From what I gather on page 5, you pay $18.2k for a license to use the Diamant software with the Arriscan...but you still have to buy the Diamant. Is that right?

Software License to use the ARRISCAN XT raw infrared channel for third party products, including special DIAMANT-Film IR-Cleaner dust busting GUI application for running on ARRISCAN XT Linux host PC with command-line interface for automated post-scan dust & scratch repair.
includes:
D2.0019781 1x IR-Cleaner Software License
10.0019777 1x Infrared System ARRISCAN XT

Or are they giving you some equipment for the $18.2k?

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it may be a software license to do the IR scanning (without the license RGB only)? The Arris are sprocketed-transport scanners with optional sproketless transports that you can buy (on page 6 of your PDF). $18K for both 35mm and 16mm very reasonable actually. 16mm warped film plate is only $370 - you should see what Lasergraphics charge for their one!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First: 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:54 AM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Kinda confused about the IR dust cleaner. From what I gather on page 5, you pay $18.2k for a license to use the Diamant software with the Arriscan...but you still have to buy the Diamant. Is that right?

No. It's pretty clearly spelled out in the product description in the price sheet you posted.

IR requires Infrared lighting. That means there's a hardware component to generate the IR light and some amount of software to output the dust map files (usually mono dpx). So the $18k enables the IR option and has nothing to do with Diamant. The files it generates can be used in any restoration software that works with IR dust maps - MTI, PFClean, Diamant, etc.

Diamant is a standalone restoration package made in Germany, that is software only. It looks like for $23k you can by the above mentioned hardware IR stuff, plus you get a special version of Diamant that runs on the Arri's host PC under linux, to automatically do dust removal using the dust maps generated by the scanner. 

 

12 hours ago, Dan Baxter said:

16mm warped film plate is only $370 - you should see what Lasergraphics charge for their one!!

I know reading is hard, but ...really? 

16mm Archive Film Gate: $33,670

The thing listed for $370 is (i'm guessing from the description) probably a plate for the takeup reel to keep warped film from telescoping off a core. All of this is written in the price sheet. Using words. In English, even. 

The lasergraphics warped film gate option is about 1/3 the cost of the Arri gates. You get gates with pressure plates as well as a complete set of special rollers. And if you buy multiple gauges at once the price per gauge drops. So 8mm, 16mm and 35mm gates combined cost *LESS* than the Arri 16mm only gate.  

Edited by Perry Paolantonio
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Sponsor

Nobody should ever think that an Arri product is going to be a "cheap" purchase... new at least.

The Arri gates are a tremendous piece of machining work and that is reflected in the cost.

The $370 plate is basically a kind of split reel to keep the soft film wound on the supply and takeup it is not in any way related to the gate.

The Arriscan is a really well built exceptionally high quality true RGB scanner but it is not for every workflow and it is certainly not fast nor is it inexpensive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Perry Paolantonio said:

I know reading is hard, but ...really? 

16mm Archive Film Gate: $33,670

The thing listed for $370 is (i'm guessing from the description) probably a plate for the takeup reel to keep warped film from telescoping off a core. All of this is written in the price sheet. Using words. In English, even. 

The lasergraphics warped film gate option is about 1/3 the cost of the Arri gates. You get gates with pressure plates as well as a complete set of special rollers. And if you buy multiple gauges at once the price per gauge drops. So 8mm, 16mm and 35mm gates combined cost *LESS* than the Arri 16mm only gate.  

Oh thanks for the correction I've misunderstood that particular product, however the Archive Gates are included as standard in the base price of the ArriscanXT. Yes they're an additional purchase for older Arris but that's because they're not original to the first 2006 model.

Why would you need to replace the rollers? The video shows it in action:

https://lasergraphics.com/media/severely-warped-film-handling-sd.mp4

The point though is the current Arris come with the Archive Gates as standard you don't need to spend any additional money to get them, the ScanStation comes without the gates that have the pressure plates unless you spend extra.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dan Baxter said:

The point though is the current Arris come with the Archive Gates as standard you don't need to spend any additional money to get them, the ScanStation comes without the gates that have the pressure plates unless you spend extra.

Are we comparing the price points of an Arriscan and an Archivist or the regular ScanStation?  If the former, then that's how they can price that machine at $40K.  But my understanding is there's still mandatory training that you have to pay for, so the price is still north of $40K.  Filmfabriek required no such add-ons to their final price of our HDS+.

However, there are trade offs.  I believe that the Lasergraphics line of scanners has superior sound capture features which, in the end, saves you more time.  We have to use AEO Light to do reliable sound extractions.  Bottom line:  we spent less on our scanner, but we spend more time on the back end matching the quality of the Archivist with post-production work.

Had the Archivist been available when we bought our HDS+, I might have bought it.  But I have no regrets about the HDS+.  They, too, offer a service contract like Lasergraphics, but I see no need for it.  I haven't needed repairs or major support from them so far.

Do the Lasergraphics products require constant communication and dialogue with Lasergraphics to keep them in good working order?  What's your experience, gentlemen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, Todd Ruel said:

Are we comparing the price points of an Arriscan and an Archivist or the regular ScanStation?  If the former, then that's how they can price that machine at $40K.  But my understanding is there's still mandatory training that you have to pay for, so the price is still north of $40K.  Filmfabriek required no such add-ons to their final price of our HDS+.

On last year's pricing it's $45,400 all up for 16/8 with the proper Chrome Rollers and HDR and without any other options like the soundheads etc. That includes the host computer, and I believe covers the first three years of warranty/support - so the extended warranty/support contract only starts after that.

With that said I don't think it would make sense to get one if you have a HDS+, if you're using it for any commercial purpose (commercial scanning jobs, post-production, restoration, etc) then you'd be better off pushing for a full ScanStation even though it's much more expensive. The Archivist would make sense if it's replacing something less capable compared to the Filmfabriek, for example a Retroscan. You'd probably do better to invest $10K into paying a software developer to make improved capture software.

I don't think the removed features have much to do with what they cost to build (i.e. the integrated editing table and the camera rail). The editing table is granite I believe so they could reduce the cost of that by using less expensive material if they wanted, and the camera rail is what provides most of the versatility out of the scanner IMO. Without it you're locked to scanning at the full resolution all the time for 16mm, and you're locked to 2.5K resolution for 8mm and with all the over-scan the resolution will be sub-par for professional use.

On 3/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, Todd Ruel said:

However, there are trade offs.  I believe that the Lasergraphics line of scanners has superior sound capture features which, in the end, saves you more time.  We have to use AEO Light to do reliable sound extractions.  Bottom line:  we spent less on our scanner, but we spend more time on the back end matching the quality of the Archivist with post-production work.

Yeah that's the catch. Plus their gate design looks simpler, and it looks like it would be difficult to design a warped film pressure plate for it. BTW from the screenshot here it appears they've added support for the 5.3K camera?

On 3/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, Todd Ruel said:

Do the Lasergraphics products require constant communication and dialogue with Lasergraphics to keep them in good working order?  What's your experience, gentlemen?

I don't know.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2022 at 1:04 AM, Todd Ruel said:

Do the Lasergraphics products require constant communication and dialogue with Lasergraphics to keep them in good working order?  What's your experience, gentlemen?

No. They're incredibly reliable machines. There's probably a lot of back and forth when someone is new to a machine or to an upgrade but once you're up and running, it just works. We've found that we get our questions answered promptly. In the 8 years or so we've had our ScanStation, one thing has broken on it. The replacement cost was reasonable and the turnaround time was quick.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Site Sponsor
9 hours ago, Norman Gregory said:

Hi Does anyone know what the current cost if for having a Arriscan on maintenance with them 

thanks in advance 

Probably a sort of standard 10%-20% of the original cost i.e. $45K-$85K

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Norman Gregory said:

Hi Does anyone know what the current cost if for having a Arriscan on maintenance with them 

Have a chat with them. For Arriscan XT the costs according to this pricing list is (page 433):

arri-service.png.124f5f9403bbc6bacd79b8b8856242b8.png

I'd assume the older ones have very similar service options as above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...