Cinelab London adds OXScan Large Format 12K Scanner to bring 65mm Finishing to UK

• Premium Member

Any comments on this?

https://www.cinelab.co.uk/post/cinelab-film-digital-adds-oxscan-large-format-12k-scanner-to-bring-65mm-finishing-to-uk?utm_campaign=dc8da9d7-13c0-43c9-be90-7cc93d3a5230&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=1001cfd5-a572-4090-8a3a-01a7328a7f29

Cinelab Film & Digital have been at forefront of film processing and scanning technologies since we were founded in 2013. We have further enhanced our offering with the installation of a brand-new large format, high-resolution OXScan 12K film scanner. The OXScan has been designed for 65mm original camera negative film and has the capability to handle 65mm 5-perf & 15-perf IMAX, 70mm print and 35mm film.

This will be the first scanner in the UK to offer such high-resolution, high-quality scanning across formats for remastering. OXScan is a 12K, pin-registered scanner, 16bit RGB scanner – the first commercially available scanner at this level. Created by DFT, an industry leader in high-end film scanning technology.

The new OXScan enhances Cinelab’s existing wide range of scanning solutions, sitting alongside their Arriscan HDR, Scanity HDR and Spirit 4K scanners, guaranteeing Cinelab can offer the best service and best picture options for all budgets. We moved forward with the installation of the OXScan in recognition of a resurgence in shooting large format film within the features industry.

The OXScan will also bolster our archive, restoration, and remastering services. Complementing our work to scan, save and restore films for future generations.

Adrian Bull, Cinelab CEO, said: “Since establishing our 65mm processing capability with Kodak back in 2016 we have worked on several inevitably high-profile features but there has been a lack of high-end finishing scanning available in the UK and Europe. This solution from DFT provides the highest quality pin-registered 65mm 5-perf and IMAX scans from this very special format. Additionally, we are looking forward to developing the market in 8K finishing and remastering of 35mm film.”
“Prasad is excited to introduce the OXScan 12K Film Scanner to the UK marketplace and thrilled to have Cinelab as our partner,” says Simon Clark, Vice-President at Prasad. “Together, we will be able to offer our unique capability, to offer 8K finishing and remastering across the 35mm/65mm formats.”
Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Its a very interesting scanner. 

First off, it doesn't fit into a normal doorway, nowhere even close. 

It has a piece of granite to keep calibration between the gate and the imager, kinda unusual but ok. 

It's extremely slow (I guess for this type of work "fast" isn't a thing anyway) 

Did I mention it's expensive? 

If ya do 65mm work,  think this day in age, it maybe a requirement. 

I thought it was very cool when I saw it in person, neat machine. 

• Like 1

How good are cinema scanners compared with, on one hand a drum scanner, on the other an Epson flatbed, or the middle ground, a Noritsu (which I figure is pretty similar to multi-pass Nikon 9000 or a bit worse)? 

Going back to the discussion of 85 filters elsewhere, Portra/Kodak Gold etc. is daylight balanced but still photo labs will compensate when they develop? I'm assuming that's at the printing stage/scan stage – is the process with printing lights and scanning to compensate for white balance similar with 135 C41 film vs ECN2? When still labs scan negatives do they apply color correction per-shot to compensate for white balance discrepancies or is there some sort of printing light equivalent/analogue compensation?

Makes me sad I never got to develop anything in my bathtub. ?

Edited by M Joel W

9 hours ago, M Joel W said:

How good are cinema scanners compared with, on one hand a drum scanner, on the other an Epson flatbed, or the middle ground, a Noritsu (which I figure is pretty similar to multi-pass Nikon 9000 or a bit worse)? 

Much better than photo scanners, save for drum scanners. Photo scanners exaggerate graininess and do not output a file format like DPX. 

8 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

https://dft-film.com/products/oxscan14k/

Uses either the 12K or 14K Sony Pregius 16bit CMOS sensor in Monochrome and RGB IR Sequential illumination.

It uses Oxberry 65mm / 70mm Pin Registered gates and Sprockets.

Very interesting. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Who is going to send you 65mm/70mm to scan so you can pay the monthly bill? lol ?

It depends how much the scanner costs. I might be able to pay out of pocket - once Bitcoin hits $250K!

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

It depends how much the scanner costs. I might be able to pay out of pocket - once Bitcoin hits $250K!

If the 4k scanner they make is $500k... I have a feeling the 14k scanner is closer to a million. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, is Oxberry still around?  When I saw Oxscan I thought of them, since they used to build

a scanner with that name.  Also a model called the Cinescan, which I actually ran for a short time back in the '90's.

I also have an Oxberry Cinescan 6400.

Oxberry is no longer, they have been taken over by Prasad (India) same as DFT and Sondor. Except for the Oxberry shuttle,  I don't know how much of the Oxscan parts are Oxberry DNA.

It all started somewhere in the 1930's with Bosch Fernseh, they provided television for the 1936 Olympics in Germany, then build telecines such as FDL60 and 90, then were bought by Philips. With the help of Kodak parts the Spirit was developed. The company was then sold to Thomson France, who rebranded it as Grass Valley because they had a better reputation. Then DFT and resold to Prasad.

• Upvote 1