New IMAX Film Cameras in Development

Tim Tyler

IMAX Corporation announced it has begun development on a new fleet of next generation IMAX film  cameras — building on its more than fifty-year legacy of innovation to meet growing demand for its technology among a broader and more diverse group of filmmakers and artists. 

In cooperation with Kodak, Panavision, and FotoKem, IMAX will develop and deploy at least four new, state-of-the-art film cameras over the next two years — growing its existing fleet of film cameras by 50% — with the first new camera being put into use by late 2023. 

5fa16a9f4ba33.image.jpgThe Company is working with the world’s most accomplished filmmakers and cinematographers, including Jordan Peele and Christopher Nolan, to identify new specs and features for the prototype development phase already underway.  The next release filmed with the current generation of IMAX film cameras and KODAK 65mm film will be Jordan Peele’s “Nope”, hitting screens on July 22, 2022, while Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” is currently shooting with IMAX Film Cameras.

“As IMAX grows as a global platform for entertainment and events, we want to offer more filmmakers, storytellers and artists the opportunity to create with our unrivalled end-to-end technology,” said Megan Colligan, President of IMAX Entertainment. “From our connected global network to IMAX Enhanced for the home, the IMAX Experience provides a more expansive creative canvas than ever, and these new film cameras will enable a new generation of creators along with those who already love working with the cameras a better way to unlock the power of IMAX.”

“IMAX film brings images to life,” said Chris Nolan. “From resolution and color to sharpness and overall quality, there is nothing compared to using IMAX film cameras today. Filmmakers and movie fans worldwide should be thrilled at the prospect of new and improved IMAX film cameras – I know I am.”

“IMAX is movie magic pushed to its limit,” said Jordan Peele. “When you see a film in an IMAX theater, it feels like you are there. It's complete immersion, and there's nothing quite like it. Shooting with the IMAX Film Cameras gave us a look and feel you can’t get anywhere else. And we are only at the beginning, there's still so much to be explored in this format.”

New and improved features being explored for the new IMAX film cameras include a quieter design and a number of useability enhancements. IMAX’s existing fleet of cameras and lenses are also undergoing major upgrades as part of the program. Several industry partners are also joining IMAX in the initiative to strengthen the global and future support of its film cameras:

Kodak will offer enhanced technical support and manufacturing of the 65mm film stock. 

Panavision will continue to provide a global network of service and maintenance for IMAX camera productions worldwide along with new tools  and technical support for the cameras.

FotoKem will work alongside the IMAX camera and post-production departments to improve production workflows and coordinate lab and post services.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Supposedly, they are shooting with the new IMAX cameras on Oppenheimer, which started production on monday. 

And yet the press release says the first camera should be ready to use by late 2023..

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

And yet the press release says the first camera should be ready to use by late 2023..

I have a friend who is working on the show, they have a "new" IMAX camera on the show. He will get me pix soon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I have a friend who is working on the show, they have a "new" IMAX camera on the show. He will get me pix soon. 

Look forward to see this Tyler... maybe a prototype?  Would be great if they have solved some of the jamming issues mentioned on the other thread by Gregory.  And the loudness that forces ADR and Dunkirk pilots wearing face masks ?

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Doug Palmer said:

Look forward to see this Tyler... maybe a prototype?  Would be great if they have solved some of the jamming issues mentioned on the other thread by Gregory.  And the loudness that forces ADR and Dunkirk pilots wearing face masks

Must be, that's my thought at least. 

Yea poor Tom Hardy, always in a mask on Nolans movies! lol 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, M. Suheil said:

We need to talk more about these madmen from lil' ol' Denmark: https://www.logmar.dk/magellan/

My guess is that this new resurrection is probably inspired from them - just like Kodaks new super8 camera:)

Nope, the resurrection has nothing to do with Logmar. I don't believe their camera is quiet as it has no isolation for the motor and movement, it's also 5 perf not 15p for IMAX. The problem is that we have plenty of 5 perf quiet cameras, but no 15 perf IMAX camera that are quiet. 

Nolan's team has been trying to get a sync sound quiet 15 perf IMAX camera made for years. I think it's just been money and who is going to make it. Sounds like it just took a while to get the contracts made and enough money by the studio's was put forward to get it rolling. So Panavision is going to be engineering the camera and there supposedly is a prototype being tested right now on Oppenheimer, but I'm not sure if its all-new or just an old camera they put in a box. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Nope, the resurrection has nothing to do with Logmar. I don't believe their camera is quiet as it has no isolation for the motor and movement, it's also 5 perf not 15p for IMAX. The problem is that we have plenty of 5 perf quiet cameras, but no 15 perf IMAX camera that are quiet. 

Nolan's team has been trying to get a sync sound quiet 15 perf IMAX camera made for years. I think it's just been money and who is going to make it. Sounds like it just took a while to get the contracts made and enough money by the studio's was put forward to get it rolling. So Panavision is going to be engineering the camera and there supposedly is a prototype being tested right now on Oppenheimer, but I'm not sure if its all-new or just an old camera they put in a box. 

You're the expert:) But know for a fact that Kodak wanted to design a new 8 milli after they saw Logmar's Chatham. Nolan and his team shot with Logmar's Magellan on Tenet - maybe they found some inspiration there too. Who knows:) 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, M. Suheil said:

You're the expert:) But know for a fact that Kodak wanted to design a new 8 milli after they saw Logmar's Chatham. Nolan and his team shot with Logmar's Magellan on Tenet - maybe they found some inspiration there too. Who knows:) 

The Magellan made an "appearance" on Tenet for one scene, of which the shots were not used in the final movie. The correlation isn't the same as Kodak hiring Logmar to make them a new Super 8 camera. 

Kodak was doing a push to "bring back" super 8 with the release of all new Vision 3 stocks and at the time, they were already developing Ektachrome 100D for re-release. So for them, it was a no-brainer to also release a new camera to go along with the package. Sadly, there was a financial issue between Logmar and Kodak which is what has postpone the entire project, probably indefinitely. So I don't think Kodak really cared about the Chatham, they just cared about marketing Super 8 and piggybacked onto Logmar to make the camera since they had just made one. However, it was again... never released. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Speaking of NOPE I have a slightly tangential question. Does anybody recognize the lens on this camera and can you venture a guess why Antlers Holst, the character of the DP in the movie might have chosen it? Also what's that harness around the lens. Is this to attach a lens blimp? Thanks guys.

prop-iMax-M1-with-a-crank.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Hannes Famira said:

Speaking of NOPE I have a slightly tangential question. Does anybody recognize the lens on this camera and can you venture a guess why Antlers Holst, the character of the DP in the movie might have chosen it? Also what's that harness around the lens. Is this to attach a lens blimp? Thanks guys.

Yea it's a Gen 1 IMAX camera. 

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of NOPE I have a slightly tangential question. Does anybody recognize the lens on this camera and can you venture a guess why Antlers Holst, the character of the DP in the movie might have chosen it? Also what's that harness around the lens. Is this to attach a lens blimp? Thanks guys.

Looks like an IMAX Mark II camera built by Jeff Williamson. The “harness” is a cage that were used on some of the longer lenses. It helps support the end of the lens to prevent vibration. That is probably a 250mm Hasselblad. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 12:35 AM, Scott Shepley said:

prop-iMax-M1-with-a-crank.jpgLooks like an IMAX Mark II camera built by Jeff Williamson. 

I googled Jeff Williamson and strangely couldn't find anything at all. Anyway, were the IMAX Mark III and Mark IV also built by him ?? 

Hello John!

The proper name is 'Geoff' Williamson. You might try googling again with that combination.

Mr. Williamson released a Wilcam W-4 in the 1st part of 1983. I attached a short write-up about it that was published in a popular industry magazine......

83-2-Wilcam-W-4-65mm-camera-A-C-2-1983-0

Geoff Williamson made several other cameras.... Super 8 single system mag sound for news filming, 16mm single system mag sound for news filming,  2 - 35mm quiet production cameras,  a 35mm 300fps camera and this 65mm camera.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1