Kodak Factory tour

On 3/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, Charles MacDonald said:

the video does show in great detail the process for making ESTAR film base.  Hard  to imagine Kodak being so open on their internal processes.

It is not the old Kodak...it is the new Kodak. The old Kodak was more secretive. But whether, old or new, some companies won't even answer their emails, let alone give you a view.

Here is (old) Kodak's photo paper operation.

Kodak%20photographic%20paper%20productio

Kodak Archive: DDTJRAC

Below:

An early blackout infrared flash photo from 1945 of Kodak’s Aero Pan film spooling operation. A single GE 22R infrared flashbulb was suspended above each operator for illumination. Photographed with a 4 x 5 camera with infrared film.

kodak-film-spooling-infrared-flash-may-1

Can you imagine working in the dark all day?

Panchromatic film, no safelight and everything by touch. Sure, we did it all the time in the darkroom. But not in the dark 8 hours a day.

OK, maybe it would not be so bad, for half an hour a day, if you had a luscious girl to work with in the dark. But nowadays they got all that me too stuff. So, I'd be fired within 5 minutes. But I'm getting too old, so not much energy left for the gals. Anyway, the gals had to keep their hair wrapped. No drippings on the film! All women crew except the cart. Women got patience.

That is something we should do nowadays. Shoot some IR flash in the darkroom!

I love IR Flash!

<><><><>

Anatomy%20of%20an%208mm%20Cine'%20Kodach

Selection from Anatomy of a 8mm Cine' Kodachrome - D.D. Teoli Jr.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

Hi David,

Thanks so much for making these 3 videos. I have often wanted to visit and wondered what the insides of Kodak Rochester was actually like. There has been the odd short site visit videos on youtube and a 1950s kodak doc but nothing as comprehensive as this. The best I thought I'd ever come to feeling like I'd visited it / certainly understood the process was the book below which I've owned for a number of years.

719AOK16odL.jpg

I knew the process was some kind of crazy alchemist wizardry but until you really know the actual process, just how totally batshit crazy it actually is do you come to appreciate all the R&D and material science over decades that has refined it to the point it is now.

The BBC have a TV series in the UK called "Inside the Factory" and it looks at all manner of food and product manufacturing factories and I've learnt some interesting insight into various sectors but Nothing Repeat Nothing comes close to the process of manufacturing color photographic Film its just on another level. 

What's amazing is the openness when previously (according to the book and a previous forum post) all the knowledge was compartmentalized with one or two people in each section knowing that sections processes and barely one or two people knowing the whole process which was a closely guarded secret. I've given the book to various family and friends and usually watch there yaw drop when they begin to realize what actually went into making this then having to imagine doing 75% of the manufacturing process in near to or complete darkness. That's the real kicker. 

Anyhow thanks again the videos are great! I really wish they'd have an open weekend or something I definetly want to go!

Best Regards

Gareth 

16mm Ektachrome Lover

I just realised that Portra 800 is an amazing looking film. I always ignored it due to its low tech compared to Portra 400, which has all the Vision3 magic. As of right now, Portra 800 is my favourite film.

If you could shoot Portra 800 in a movie camera, would you shoot a project with it?

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Still waiting for part two and three of the tour, but I was wondering, given the enormous machinery and sophistication creating the acetate and Estar base, do the other film manufacturers get their base from Kodak? Or does Ilford create their own base?

Just curious 🧠

2 hours ago, David Sekanina said:

Still waiting for part two and three of the tour, but I was wondering, given the enormous machinery and sophistication creating the acetate and Estar base, do the other film manufacturers get their base from Kodak? Or does Ilford create their own base?

Just curious 🧠

I think some people on Photrio would probably know the answer to this question:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/

On 3/30/2022 at 12:17 AM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

It is not the old Kodak...it is the new Kodak. The old Kodak was more secretive. But whether, old or new, some companies won't even answer their emails, let alone give you a view.

Here is (old) Kodak's photo paper operation.

Kodak%20photographic%20paper%20productio

Below:

An early blackout infrared flash photo from 1945 of Kodak’s Aero Pan film spooling operation. A single GE 22R infrared flashbulb was suspended above each operator for illumination. Photographed with a 4 x 5 camera with infrared film.

kodak-film-spooling-infrared-flash-may-1

Can you imagine working in the dark all day?

Panchromatic film, no safelight and everything by touch. Sure, we did it all the time in the darkroom. But not in the dark 8 hours a day.

OK, maybe it would not be so bad, for half an hour a day, if you had a luscious girl to work with in the dark. But nowadays they got all that me too stuff. So, I'd be fired within 5 minutes. But I'm getting too old, so not much energy left for the gals. Anyway, the gals had to keep their hair wrapped. No drippings on the film! All women crew except the cart. Women got patience.

That is something we should do nowadays. Shoot some IR flash in the darkroom!

I love IR Flash!

<><><><>

Anatomy%20of%20an%208mm%20Cine'%20Kodach

Selection from Anatomy of a 8mm Cine' Kodachrome - D.D. Teoli Jr.

The images are stunning. Do you have more? Total Eye Candy.