Zeiss 8mm, T2.1, Arri-B mount, with PL mount. For 16mm.

Gregg MacPherson

Zeiss 8mm, T2.1, Arri-B mount, with PL mount. For 16mm.
These were designed for standard 16 and have a very small vignette on S16. Often used for digital with a lttle crop.

Very sharp, it looked as good as the S16 format superspeeds, which resolve 200 lp/mm. It looked a good match to them. No marks, haze, fungus etc.

Focus is smooth, with nice viscous damping. No bumps or defects.
Iris is smooth and light.

This generation of the 8mm has the same body design as a MK II superspeed but with slightly shorter barrel length. Integral focus gear and 80mm front. Focus throw is about 180deg. Focus marks in m and ft. The mount is fixed with eight screws. 

Comes with a stainless PL mount to replace the Arri-B mount. A lens technician will normally need to adjust collimation with shims after swapping mounts. Techs who collimate a lot with access to a lens projector are quite quick.  Edit: PL mount comes without rear light baffle, but I think it has the standard thread to receive one. Some guys use them without baffles. You could 3D print one.

PRICE..$1200;

SHIPPING
Was quoted 2-6 business days, but may be a bit longer.
USA...$51.00
UK and Europe...$44.00
Other destinations just ask.

No returns unless item is not as described.
Any questions please ask.

May have to space the pics over more posts.

20220324_170328.jpg

20220324_170313.jpg

Edited by Gregg MacPherson
Add more words.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

That's weird - I have what looks to be an older version of that lens (Distagon 8mm f/2 but not the T* designation and the barrel is the same diameter the whole way, it doesn't flare out at the front) and it's not even close to vignetting on S16, at least as far as I can tell in my viewfinder.  I can see the vignette out at the fr corners of the whole wide NPR viewfinder field of view, but nowhere near the framing lines.  (So I was assuming it was a legit S16 lens...)

Duncan

@ Duncan.

There's no footage from my lens. I did see it on a lens projector, but can't remember the vignetting thing, maybe I wasn't looking for it. Through the viewfinder, vignetting is just visible inside the outermost frame marking, just touching the 1.85 marks. But there is a faint brightness fall off right in the corner.

Apart from the fall off, I supose one could figure out what was clipping the frame and machine some off. Not me, and I never heard of it done.

I'm not familiar with the older 8mm version, and hadn't heard that it covers S16. Maybe check the fall off in the corners.

I have the older one and it doesn't really cover S16. Corners are black in the footage. With zooming in in Resolve it works ok'ish, but it's not optimal. Still, if one is putting together a cheap Zeiss set for ACL including Contax/Yashica lenses, those older 8mm, 16mm and 25mm work great with them to cover the more difficult (and in still lenses non-existent) wide end.

• 9 months later...

I had this on eBay for about 3 weeks or so and it didn't sell. I forgot about it for a while. 

This time, before relisting I cleaned the body properly, repainted the red focus marks, put good vinyl labels on the lens cap and took better photos.  Someone was selling one for 3000 Pounds (USD3570) so I raised the price, got a bid half an hour after listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155427453867

1727835102_zeiss8mmforforum1.thumb.jpg.519ef89eecf6a0cdf2d422797b9c13d2.jpg