Cameras Not Matching

Sean Dahlberg

I think this is the correct place to post this as this problem was discovered in post... So I'm on a two camera shoot right now, (2x Arri Alexa Mini LF's) and after shooting an interview we realized that B-Camera was much warmer than A-Camera. The cameras were matching all settings EXCEPT T-stop, and one camera was wearing an external ND .3 while the other camera was clean. I guess my question is would the external ND cause for this shift in color? 

The A camera is always a stop closed down compared to B camera on this shoot. Would it be wise for us both to match external ND filters (whether we use them or not) and  make all necessary exposure adjustments via the internal ND's and the ISO? Originally we wanted to keep the cameras the same ISO as I know that shifts the dynamic range of the sensor but maybe that would be the way to go next time? Thank you for the responses, any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yea, ND can cause a slight shift, but most of the time it's the lenses that cause the shift, assuming all the other settings were identical. The Alexa's are very good at consistency between cameras. I've done a lot of Alexa Multicam, it's generally pretty good, but they ALWAYS shoot with matched glass. 

• Premium Member

We've had a few instances of Alexas not matching. It used to be more of an issue with older cameras with aging sensors matching newer ones, but we've had crews notice it with Mini LFs too. Of course any optical component before the sensor could be a factor, and should be tested,  but even with the same lens and no filtration you can find variations. Arri recommend doing a white balance or having white balance presets for each camera. 

The new Arri S35 sensor will apparently be easier to calibrate.