April 2, 2022 is the 150th Anniversary of the death of Samuel Morse. The inventor of the Morse code and contributor to modernizing telegraphy.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

We don’t give much attention to the telegraph now. But back in the day it took weeks to deliver and get a reply answer from a letter sent across the USA. Or it would take months if you were talking about letter going to and from England or Europe.

1-professor-samuel-morse.jpg?w=675

Samuel Finley Breese Morse, (4.27.1791 – 4.2.1872), was an American artist and inventor who helped develop the telegraph and Morse Code. April 2, 2022 is the 150th Anniversary of his death.

Within the Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection, I have a collection of Telegraphy related material. I’m not going over the history of the telegraph or how it worked. You can research that on your own. But I will share some of the images I have in the collection in honor and remembrance of Samuel F.B. Morse.

messenger-boy-working-for-mackay-telegra

Telegraph messenger boy

atkins-saw-co.-telegraphic-code-1906-d.dEven though messages could be sent fast, many businesses economized with shortening ‘the code’ by using their own telegraphy code. Now one word in Morse code, could become 7 or 8 words.

wallace_study-telegraph.jpg

vintage-radio-daniel-d.-teoli-jr.-archiv

s-l1600-16.jpg

screenshot-01-31-2022-15.13.33.jpg

The telegraph was pretty simple. You had a key and a sounder / resonator connected by wires held on a wooden pole with glass insulators.

...Continued and full rundown:

The 150th Anniversary of the death of Samuel Morse…the Father of the Telegraph – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection – II (home.blog)

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Daniel D. Teoli Jr. changed the title to April 2, 2022 is the 150th Anniversary of the death of Samuel Morse. The inventor of the Morse code and contributor to modernizing telegraphy.