How do I produce fogged Windows on purpose?

Luca Hain

Hey Everyone,

I want to shoot a car scene in a morning mood with fogged windows.

My problem: the shooting will take place in portugal where it's too hot for natural fogged windows right away.

Is there some kind of trick to archive this effect on set in a kind of controlled way?

An example is attached to this..

thank ya'll !

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 15.20.57.jpg

From what I remember reading about this stuff, condensation is a warming process. It also requires a minimum amount of humidity.

So... if I am correct, you can increase the humidity, and have a warm interior with a cold exterior. I think if you make the glass cold enough, the condensation will form easily if the warm interior is humid enough.

Can someone check me please on that logic.

If this is a small shoot, buy a rice cooker. Bring 4 gallons of water and the rice cooker into the room. Close all of the doors and windows. Boil the water for 5 minutes. Turn of the rice cooker and open thr lid near the windows. Repeat this until the windows have condensation on them. There ya go. Have fun. ???

• Like 1

You might achieve a light fog by directing a mist coat of hair laquer from far enough away from the glass that a smooth film of laquer is not formed. Maybe try some dulling spray if you can obtain some. You will not be able to create droplet runs except maybe to spray some laquer into a small bottle cap used as a paintpot and start runs onto the glass using a small art brush. You may have to wait some minutes for the material to set. Make sure nobody touches it or you will have to clean off and start over.

Edited by Robert Hart