Kudos to M. David Mullen for Mrs. Maisel.

Michael Ryan

OK, first off, I haven''t been on this forum for a long time.  Tonight I was watching the last episode of season 4 The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  I was watching the credits at the end and I saw the cinematography was by M. David Mullen.  The light bulb went off in my head, that's the real cinematographer that answered questions on that forum I used to look at every day.  So I see that you still post here so I just wanted to say that your cinematography for Maisel is MIND BLOWINGLY EXCELLENT.  Wow.  You are elite.  Are you using a black pro mist filter?  Your cinematography for the snow storm sequence at the end was fantastic.  The budget looks like a big time movie budget.  You guys are getting every dollar up on the screen.  Also the scene where the actor Luke Kirby (playing Lenny Bruce) has that long speech to Maisel at the hall.  His performance was next level.  When you are filming a scene like that can you tell in the moment that this is something very special?  There's only a very short list of cinematographers that I consider every shot to be a feast for the eyes.  Conrad Hall, Robert Richardson and now you M.David Mullen. Absolutely brilliant work. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Make sure you see The Love Witch and Jennifer's Body too. His amazing work is what led me to this site.

The only thing that exceeds David Mullen's talent is his generosity in sharing his advice and experience with this community.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Raaf Sundquist said:

Make sure you see The Love Witch and Jennifer's Body too.

It's amazing how much Jennifer's Body has blown up in the culture lately, hope David is seeing the memes his work created!

• Premium Member

Thanks Michael!

We mainly use a 1/4 Schneider Hollywood Black Magic, sometimes the 1/8. A few times we use a Black Frost (1/8, 1/4, 1/2) or a Tiffen Black Diffusion/FX.

But for the blizzard scene I mostly used a 1/4 Fog, though the first blizzard scene we shot was outside of Carnegie Hall and I used a 1/2 Black Frost. Then I decided the 1/4 Fog might be better because it has a cold bias.

• Like 4

On 4/4/2022 at 3:42 AM, Michael Ryan said:

Thank you, David.   I found a video on YouTube that has David talks about  his set ups for Maisel.    

I actually remember watching this one on youtube a couple of years ago.

Really great video and congratulations @David Mullen ASC for all the great work!

• 4 weeks later...

I remember coming here 8 years ago, early in my career, and getting some great advice from David Mullen and the rest of the vets here. Advice I still carry to this day. That definitely gave me a huge confidence boost like I had some inside knowledge from those at the top of the cinematography craft. This community has always been such a hidden gem. 

• Like 1