Multi-Cam Setup for a Client that Wants to Run Things Himself

Hey guys,

I have a client who wants to start up a robust YouTube account featuring piano tutorials. By robust, I mean commercial quality. For our last set of videos, we rented a 1-ton grip truck (4K HMI through the window, an astera, an orbiter, several other small lights), four cinema level cameras (a C300miii, two C300mii's, and a C70), and brought in a crew of maybe 11 or so people. He loved the outcome.

But, now he would like to upgrade his current equipment to come as close as possible to matching the quality of that production, without needing to hire the extra crew. He'd like a system set up so that he can operate it all himself. He's a pianist--not a techie. So we'd like to make the system as easy to use as possible.

I'm trying to find gear that I can connect to a DMX board or something similar so that he can turn everything on from a main control area in his studio. So, the cameras could be recorded remotely from that control area with an Atomos SUMO or something similar, and ideally, the (cinema level) cameras could be turned on and settings adjusted from there as well.

I come from a narrative film background. Studio setups aren't exactly my forte, so I'm not sure where to look for something like this. What cameras are out there that can be turned on and controlled via a singular control board?

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

• Premium Member

I had a conversation with a techie friend yesterday about something similar. It was for a remote crew in LA to operate 4 cams in Florida. They'd used $1500 Blackmagic cameras with a BNC or HDMI video out and another BNC to control the camera's settings (I don't understand how).

I could give him your contact if you're interested in the techie details.