Looking for resources on leadership skills for camera dpt. or filmmakers generally

Pete Varnai

Hey,
I've started gathering some leadership skills resources regarding film industry, and I was wondering what you people have found so far?
I know we filmmakers as a community seriously lack these resources, so I'm interested in anything, even if it is just a short sentence in an hour long podcast episode, or just a paragraph in a book.

I remember how hard it was for me in the beginning of my career to get other people do what I wanted. And I have seen teams being led by people who were not able to get through the team what they wanted, and then also seen the very same team led by other people, where they were doing exactly what those leaders imagined.

It's an important skill we often forget about.

This is a project of mine I've started going into years ago, and I'm eager to continue collecting knowledge and spreading it widely for our industry's good ?

Thank you for sharing any resource that you may have found on "how do those filmmakers do it  who can get a team work effectively"? I'll make sure it's not just for my drawer, but I share them widely.

Edited by Pete Varnai
  • Like 1

• Pete Varnai changed the title to Looking for resources on leadership skills for camera dpt. or filmmakers generally
  • Premium Member

"Happy crews make happy pictures." I've been told by a commercial director. He also said, "If it's not fatal, it's not serious." He taught me to loosen up and enjoy the time working together. It sounds obvious, but some folks' seriousness can stall morale.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think it really comes down to prep and getting people on the same page, WAY before you shoot. 

I'll spend months doing prep on scripted shows. Generally finding the right cast and slowly finding my crew, if I don't use the same crew I normally use. I also shoot what I make, so I don't have to argue with a DP to get my shot. I just explain to the gaffer and operator what I'm looking for, composition and lighting wise and let them set things up as I work with the cast. 

The last show we did, we had a random cast person come on. Our lead worked with them and rehearsed without me being present. I had them show me what they wanted to do and I gave them a few directions based on camera placement and blocking, but they were spot on. We had 12 shots to do in 2hrs and we got it done in 90 min or so. Super efficient and it really worked well. 

Anyway, a cast and crew who are into your show and understand how to work together, is far better than just finding someone with a great resume. Give me nice and workable any day of the week. 

I am trying to focus my YouTube channel more about production soon. I'm going to launch a whole new series about it soon. So stick around, probably after the summer I'll have something done. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8v6hFXTvlgd-Dy1IzsE4-g

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I love this topic because it deserves  much more attention than it gets. I run my camera team as a business. After all, we are in show business. As a head of the department, I am not only responsible for the technical aspects of cinematography but also I’m responsible for the budget, staffing and logistics of the camera department. As I’ve mentioned in past posts, I’ve had the same team with me for many years. When it’s time for them to move up, I move them up within the team to keep them on the team. My job isn’t to tell them what to do but rather LISTEN to them for what they need to perform their jobs at the highest level and make it fit within our given parameters. 

I’m a true believer in a business management model that I have practiced for years. It’s called “The One Minute Manager “.  It’s theory is that if I have hired the right people in the beginning, I don’t need to manage them for more than a minute at any time. If I do need to manage longer than that, I didn’t do my first job correctly by not hiring the right people. That’s completely on me. Hire the best out there and do not micro-manage them unless necessary. If that becomes necessary, changes may be next. My job is to keep the team on target for the end goal and let them loose! That’s exactly why I know my entire team is in the top 1% in the world for their crafts. That’s also why the Hollywood studios request me to head up their camera departments on big budget movies, in order to protect their investments as well as producers and, of course, cinematographers. I say that very humbled and modestly. 

There is a series of books on The One Minute Manager and I highly recommend them. It’s a simple and effective business management tool. 

G

• Like 3

Chris Voss' book Never Split the Difference is pretty effective.  It explains the psychology of negotiation.   Knowing the type of person you're speaking with. Their personality will fall into one of three basic types and you'll have an easier time talking to them if you can pinpoint what they are.   For tricks and tips I was on a set where everyone was called Uncle or Aunt (Their name).  Sounds silly but it did relax the vibe.  I wouldn't recommend that today though due to the sensitivity surrounding pronouns and gender.  

Edited by Michael LaVoie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much, everyone for chiming in. I’m not that fast with my replies as you can see ? But I’m so thankful for your answers! I’ll bring some more related questions later ?

Meanwhile:

Stephen Sanchez
I love that point of view ?

I highly resonate with that.

Tyler Purcell
Oooh Yess! Prep! This is soo often ignored. As you say, not just technical but getting the people on the same page.

I love your plan on your channel!
You mentioned in there some good communication. I think it would be worth talking about that specifically on your show. So many (if not all) things go astray because of inefficient communication.

Can’t wait to see those episodes!

Gregory Irwin
Oh wow! “My job isn’t to tell them what to do but rather LISTEN to them for what they need to perform their jobs at the highest level and make it fit within our given parameters.”
This us pure gold in there.

“The One Minute Manager “. wow I just came across this title accidentally earlier today! I’ll look it up then.

I’m wondering though - how would you suggest raising the performance of the 99%? After all the 1% has been booked up, what would you suggest for hiring among the others or for how to make them perform better? (now of course that will not make 1 minute ? so it’s only for those who can have that extra time. )

Michael LaVoie

Thanks for the recommendation!
OH yes, a quick rule fo thumb for how to communicate/negotiate with certain personality types definitely sounds like a super useful tool! I’ll look that up.

I also love the idea to relax the atmosphere in funny ways. I’ve heard people in other industries suggest this as well. If you come across other ways to do that I’d love to hear about it ?

• Premium Member
On 4/10/2022 at 8:15 AM, Gregory Irwin said:

I’m a true believer in a business management model that I have practiced for years. It’s called “The One Minute Manager “.  It’s theory is that if I have hired the right people in the beginning, I don’t need to manage them for more than a minute at any time

100%, couldn't agree with that statement more.