Pushing 5222 +2???

Wondering if anyone has test footage from various levels of pushed Kodak 5222? Would be cool to compare 200, 400, 800, 1600. I can find examples of still photos but I’d love to see the grain in motion. 

Thanks for any help. MH

• 2 weeks later...

From what I’ve found The Notorious Betty Page is 5222 pushed two stops. Contrast looks great. Some of the black in her hair are almost gone but still looks good. 

Also, The Forty Year Old Version., shot on 5222, pushed 1 stop, from what I’ve learned. 

MH

• Premium Member

I'd personally test it myself, that way you know exactly what it's going to look like in your scenario. 

Having shot a bit of 5222 and 7222, I have to say it's always been grainy to my eye at base ISO. I prefer shooting 500T and converting it to black and white, only because it's a cleaner image and we know how 500 behaves when under exposed and pushed. It's a guaranteed situation where black and white negative, can get pretty aggressive contrast wise. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I'd personally test it myself, that way you know exactly what it's going to look like in your scenario. 

Having shot a bit of 5222 and 7222, I have to say it's always been grainy to my eye at base ISO. I prefer shooting 500T and converting it to black and white, only because it's a cleaner image and we know how 500 behaves when under exposed and pushed. It's a guaranteed situation where black and white negative, can get pretty aggressive contrast wise. 

No camera, no film, no money to do the tests. I’m ready for contrast.  The Notorious Betty Page had a great look. I don’t have all the lighting/crew they had tho. Just a dream and hopefully some luck. Thank you Tyler. 

• Site Sponsor

XX22 can look really great but you have to use the right developer and do a good target test.

We just ran a huge pile of 35mm for a Beats commercial and a number of rolls were Push +2 shot in hard contrast lighting so lots of falloff into shadow and it really looked great. The right developer bath can really make the grain really nice on the stock.

ECN converted to B&W never looks right to me.

• 3 weeks later...