Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty - HBO Max

• Premium Member

What a superb series!!!!! I’m European and the NBA is not a part of my culture though obviously there is huge interest in it now over on this continent it was all football football football of course…..or soccer as you call it over there……anyway, as I was born in 1966 I recall and have many memories of the 70s and early 80s when all this takes place in the series…..the clothes and the stuff we had around in our homes……but I digress…….

casting is superb, the clothes are superb, the filming style is superb…..the actors engage the audience and address us all the time……..it’s bold, energetic……ballsy…..chapeau for creating this……look at the tech spec…they continually go from 35mm to 16mm to super 8 to video camera Betacam 8……and even animation…….Wtf……love it!

totally recommended!

C0B6077E-D780-454D-8D0A-796713285749.jpeg

• Like 1

This show is a visual feast. They are using an Ektachrome LUT for the color negative footage, it looks great. Some scene really look like 16mm Fuji Vivid Eterna. It kinda feels like Tony Scott and John Carpenter playing table tennis with the visuals and camera movement. So good! 

The small details of the set design are spot on very early 80's. Not only that but the racial/social/economic dynamics play really well together. 

This show really has fun with the audience, it's so much fun. This show deserves a few Emmys. I am interested to see how this show affects the visual language of other upcoming shows, "Can you make this look like WINNING TIME?"

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

showing the perfs etc (cant remember what the term is) on the super 8mm is a bit of a YouTuber signalling ''look Im shooting film'' moment but hey, the great unwashed need to be taught about film hahaha so i don''t mind.....the video look is fun.......I''m fully up to the latest episode now and looking forward to episode 10......

The Nike moment we all remember from THAT episode......Michael Jordan signed with NIKE back in 1984 for 250,000 dollars and his own line of shoes....Converse had failed to agree with his demands apparently......his net worth is 2.2 billion dollars v Magic Johnson (he signed with Converse) net worth 600 million dollars hahah
"
Both companies were trying to sign the league’s hottest rookie. Nike, which was still trying to establish itself, didn’t have the cash Magic was looking for and offered him an option in Nike stock to sign with them. Still young and thinking dollars more than sense, Magic took $100,000 in cash from Converse."