C300miii Monitor Out and HDMI Out Only Outputs 59.94fps?

Ruthie Grumbine

Hi all,

I have a C300miii that will only output 59.94fps to my SmallHD 702, even with the camera is recording in 23.98fps. Has anyone else had this issue before? 

When I started testing this a few days ago, I couldn't get 23.98fps to output on any video out ports. SDI out wouldn't even show a current image--just a freeze frame. I updated the firmware from 1.0.1.1 to 1.0.2.1 hoping that might fix the issue, and it did to a degree. Now my SDI out will transmit 23.98fps video to the SmallHD, but the monitor out and HDMI out will still only transmit 59.98fps. I'm not sure what else to try. Any and all troubleshooting ideas are appreciated!

Ruthie

Hi Ruthie,

What is camera's system frequency set to?  I've noticed that my C300 Mk III defaults to 59.94 fps, unless I change it, and it may be outputting system frequency over HDMI.  The only outboard monitor/recorder that I have on hand is a Black Magic Video Assist 7" HDR 12G, and I'm not certain that it will work properly with the Mk III, but I can give it a try.

I usually have the frequency set to 59.94 Hz. But, the output switches to 60fps when I change the frequency to 24.00 Hz, and it switches to 50fps when I change it to 50.00 Hz. I've tested each frequency and cannot get any of them to transmit 23.98fps.

Sorry about that, it was a wild shot at best.  As mentioned, I don't usually shoot with an external recorder/monitor, as I find the LCD screens to be compromised in bright sunlight, which is where most of my shooting is performed.  Instead, I prefer an EVF, like the EVF-V70 which I use. 

That said, I have found Canon Cine Pro support to be very helpful in the past, you might want to give them a call. 1 (855) 246-3367

Addendum: I believe you'd said that you'd managed to get it working over SDI? That might suggest that there is an incompatibility issue with the Small HD, as opposed to the MK III, since it is outputting properly over SDI?

Regards,

Ron

Edited by Ron Wilk

I called Canon Cine Pro support and they were very helpful, thanks. We spent a lot of time going over various settings and I was impressed with how patient they were during troubleshooting. Unfortunately, they're also not sure what the issue is and are going to check with the engineers to figure out a solution. They did mention that the problem could be with my cables instead of either monitor or camera--I only have 3G SDI cables, not 12G.

If anyone is curious, I made a chart to show what worked and what didn't with the various outputs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jx7RuDDKVd_9ddLGtOXB3DKLES8PstVepYX9GHeAoz8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Ruthie Grumbine

Hello, and thank you for the followup. It is interesting that they suspect the cables, and not the camera itself.  And I guess the fact that it can output the desired frame rate over SDI offers additional support.  A cable change seems easy enough to accomplish, and I would be interested to hear about the result.

Regards,

Ron