Lomo foton-a coverage on monstro/vraptor

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 3:18 AM, Edith blazek said:

Hello, does anyone know if the lomo foton-a front anamorphic zoom covers the 8k 6:5 mode on the red monstro or v-raptor?

Bumping this, Please let me know if you have ever tried the lomo foton-a front anamorphic zoom on either the red monstro in the 8k 6:5 mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be very surprised if the foton covered anything more than s-35. I have owned 3 or 4 foton anamorphics, never tried them on anything bigger than dragon, but I just had square front primes on a venice, and they had massive vignetting at 6k, well, because, they were never intended for it.

Nick

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

the normal Foton covers academy 35 on all focal lengths and on some lengths it can maybe just barely cover s35 but not throughout the range and the vignetting is very close to the frame edge depending on the aspect ratio. the anamorphic adapter might affect coverage a little but it certainly can't cover FF in any case and even if it did cover larger than s35 the edges would be very poor quality and probably unusable (though the edge look is very nice in B/W ). but yeah it is meant for academy formats originally

Edited by aapo lettinen

12 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

the normal Foton covers academy 35 on all focal lengths and on some lengths it can maybe just barely cover s35 but not throughout the range and the vignetting is very close to the frame edge depending on the aspect ratio. the anamorphic adapter might affect coverage a little but it certainly can't cover FF in any case and even if it did cover larger than s35 the edges would be very poor quality and probably unusable (though the edge look is very nice in B/W ). but yeah it is meant for academy formats originally

I didn't mean the full opengate sensor, I meant 8k 6:5 crop, reason I asked is that I do know some super 35 anamorphic lenses that cover that mode, like 40mm and up on the atlas orion lenses for example, and I don't particularly care about edge performance as it's a soft lens through and through, it doesn't matter to me.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Edith blazek said:

I didn't mean the full opengate sensor, I meant 8k 6:5 crop, reason I asked is that I do know some super 35 anamorphic lenses that cover that mode, like 40mm and up on the atlas orion lenses for example, and I don't particularly care about edge performance as it's a soft lens through and through, it doesn't matter to me.

it is both edge softness and chromatic aberration and other aberrations. they look very nice on b/w but on colour they may be an issue to some users which is why I mentioned them ?    one would need to stop down to T8 /T11 split or T11 to get "good enough" image CA wise on the most usable image area if having large contrast edges on the background. the far edges may never be "techically great" no matter how much stopped down but the center starts to get pretty good if past T8

On 6/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, Nick Gardner said:

I would be very surprised if the foton covered anything more than s-35. I have owned 3 or 4 foton anamorphics, never tried them on anything bigger than dragon, but I just had square front primes on a venice, and they had massive vignetting at 6k, well, because, they were never intended for it.

Nick

Okay, within your time of testing the foton anamorphic on the dragon, did you ever test if it covered opengate?