Shoppers Rush Before Shoe Ration Coupon Expires 1943

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

37 minutes ago, Simon Wyss said:

Daniel, you are certainly a nice fellow but, if you please, cease posting things like that that have nothing to do with cinematography. What’s the purpose of this?

Well, it's the "Off-topic" forum ... though since 2018, it could also have been renamed "Daniel D. Teoli's forum"... ?

15 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

Daniel, you are certainly a nice fellow but, if you please, cease posting things like that that have nothing to do with cinematography. What’s the purpose of this?

Heikki answered it. Although I didn't have any intention to make this my section. I just try to send in something once in a while that I think may be of interest. I work in hundreds of areas beside cine' films. I can't help it other members don't want to participate here. Some people are like that. They just take and lurk and never give back anything. 

I don't get it. I don't try to make the posts titles misleading. If you don't like my posts, why on earth do you read them Simon?

I look around to see what is new here for posts. Sometimes I don't see much that interests me. But, just because something is not of interest to me means nothing. It may be of interest to someone else. In any case, I just pass over it if it is not of interest. But I don't waste time telling members that it is not of interest and for them to stop posting such things. A discussion forum would not be much if everyone lurked Simon. At least I try to participate in areas that I can. 

If the head man doesn't like me posting in the off-topic section, I won't anymore. But I think you are only a member Simon and not the head honcho. Or do you have some special position at the forum Simon?

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

The thread title comes like a newspaper headline. Shoppers Rush Before Shoe Ration Coupon Expires

Maybe I’m annoyed because I’m closer to people who have fled from a war, to this country also. If you wanted to allude to war, it worked. I got hooked by 1943. If it’s about photography, I don’t follo. If you wanted to bring up today’s madness of millions of packages sent around because (mainly) women return shoes and clothes they don’t like, you wouldn’t say anything in that respect. It’s perhaps the vanity that goes on my nerves. Maybe it’s the childishness to simply throw something out in wait for reactions. I am an old-fashioned, grumpy, mean retard from before computer age. Now we have both explained ourselves.

Personally I like these oddball posts, but OP must be aware that millions of Europeans are very close to a very hot war. These are uncertain times and one must be particularly sensitive. You can't know what will set off a reaction- perhaps the idea that while millions were being slaughtered for profit in Eastern Europe, American women were worrying about replacing their shoes.

450px-Shoes_of_Victims_from_Operation_Re

Adam Jones,CC3.0 licence https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en

Please carry on, OP, but think about your posts.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Thanks Mark.  Interesting photo! What is it? Are they shoes from Jews in concentration camps? I clicked on the link, but it didn't say.

This area of rationing is very interesting to me. Everyone I knew from that era is dead, so no one to ask. It is like putting a puzzle together. For instance, if you needed a typewriter, you had to get on a list. The gov took much of the used typewriters out of circulation to use on the war. Need gas...you need a coupon. Nee a bag of sugar...needs coupons, and on and on. 

Here is the deal Mark, I'm not much for second guessing people nor sensitive to such things. I just try to stay away from politics and religion as was requested in the guidelines for this section. 

I have a humongous collection of material covering both of those areas, but do not use any of it here. And the crazy thing is; I'm not religious and hate politics and politicians. Yet...I don't let my personal prejudices stop me from working extensively in those areas. 

It is a losing battle trying not to offend anyone nowadays Mark. The WW2 shoe rationing was something I would never have thought would set anyone off. But you just never know how people are. My personal guidelines are this...if it is legal...I do as I like. 

When I was making the transition from film to digital, about a dozen plus years ago, I would run into people on forums that didn't like this or that project. Or how I shot it. Or whatever. I always tell them the same thing Mark. You didn't pay me to do the project for you. If you don't like it...do it yourself. But people feel entitled to direct your projects to their liking even though they are not hiring you to do it. 

Edit: When I saved the photo the file name was marked properly that gave the scoop. Good for them! Your file names are very important people!

450px-Shoes_of_Victims_from_Operation_Reinhard_Death_Camps_-_Collected_at_Majdanek_Concentration_Camp_-_Lublin_-_Poland

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Thanks 1