Filter order in a matte box.

I'm sorry for the super basic stupid question. I was moving quickly today, working on a documentary shoot, with a glimmer glass 4x5 filter loaded in a matte box, and then decided to add a polarizer into the mix. I had a lot on my mind, but at that moment was frozen with indecision about what the "correct" filter order would be. I raced through all kinds of permutations of what physically is happening to the light as it's going through the filters, then tried it both ways, couldn't see a difference in the space of 10 seconds, and went with the glimmer glass in the front. I've been doing this a long time, and somehow I never put a diffusion and a polarizer together before, but I'm curious about other filter combos as well. So, other than a hot mirror always going in the front, does anyone have any rules or reasons for which way they stack a filter?

Steven,

Generally, you should place a diffusion type filter as close as possible to the front element. Same with diopters.  After that any order that is convenient for color correction, pola etc. will work.  As long as the f-stop is not closed down very much, the pattern of the diffusion on the glass/plastic/net itself is less likely to be photographed.  The farther away the diffusion is from the front the easier it is to be photographed, assuming a dramatic pattern.  

That is not to say one can't place diffusion farther out. You may like the look, but there are those above mentioned problems that could occur.  Wide angle vs. telephoto also plays a role in how an effect works.

I  was surprised no one answered before me.  

Hope this helps.

Eric

• Premium Member

You also want the polariser closest to the scene for the strongest effect. Filters such as diffusion will, at least in part, scramble the polarisation in the light and reduce the amount of effect the polariser has. That might be what you want, but be aware.

• 1 year later...

Nathaly,

Doesn't matter.  

Except that the polarizer has to rotate, so place it in a rotating slot in your mattebox, or in front of the other filters, (behind the lenshood) on lenses that don't use a mattebox.  

Basically, if there is a pattern IN the filter, put it as close to the lens as possible.  Same with diopters.

If you think there will be a problem or just searching for a "look" then  TEST.

That's the thing about "rules"  break 'em while testing, and you may discover a look... useful now or later.

Hope this helps.