Canon R5c's Internal mic cannot be turned off

Ron Wilk

I have been struggling with the audio input for the newly released R5c. 

Following multiple telephone conversations and back and forth emails with Canon support, it has become apparent that there is no reasonable means of defeating the camera's internal microphone.  The only way that it can be accomplished is to attach the Tascam XLR adapter and microphone, while at the same time connecting a consumer mic to the camera via its 3.5mm jack—an entirely unacceptable approach. It was suggested that owner/users reply to Canon's 'Feedback' page on the Canon web site and lodge their complaints there.  it would appear that this is something that could be fixed in firmware, rather than requiring a hardware modification, and those of us who are plagued by this issue should become rather vocal via the feedback page or via calls to Cine Tech Support.

I now have a Canon DM-E1D stereo microphone that I had hoped would defeat the R5c's internal microphone, but it does not ... the internal microphone remains active, and most of the first 2 pages of the audio menu remain grayed out.  If the persistence of the internal mic is not a design oversight, I have no idea what the design team had been thinking, because this is anything but professional.

Edited by Ron Wilk