On board monitor for Arri SR3 and playback.

Bryan Becker

Right now I have CEI COLOR VIDEO ASSISTANT on the camera with a Analog to SDI converter and Ptap power converter. However I saw that AZ-spectrum makes this HD SDI flickerfree video assist for the SR3, and maybe that would allow me to not need the sdi converter. I just have no idea how much AZ will charge for that item. I’m calling them tomorrow.

43 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Is it an HD tap? 

Right now I have CEI COLOR VIDEO ASSISTANT on the camera with a Analog to SDI converter and Ptap power converter. However I saw that AZ-spectrum makes this HD SDI flickerfree video assist for the SR3, and maybe that would allow me to not need the sdi converter. I just have no idea how much AZ will charge for that item. I’m calling them tomorrow.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Bryan Becker said:

Got ya, so yea I'd get the VP tap, it's pretty good. It's also HD vs the stock one which is composite SD.

Then ya just use any flavor of monitor that has build in recording and you're good to go. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Got ya, so yea I'd get the VP tap, it's pretty good. It's also HD vs the stock one which is composite SD.

Then ya just use any flavor of monitor that has build in recording and you're good to go. 

Amazing, thank you. Would you mind telling me what VP stands for and if the tap I mentioned from AZ-Spectrum is a VP tap or where I could find one? 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Bryan Becker said:

Amazing, thank you. Would you mind telling me what VP stands for and if the tap I mentioned from AZ-Spectrum is a VP tap or where I could find one? 

Oh haha visual products. AZ-Spectrum is another company who makes taps. They're just super backed up. You can probably get a faster turn around with the same quality over at Visual Products, who are in Ohio. 

Just now, Tyler Purcell said:

Oh haha visual products. AZ-Spectrum is another company who makes taps. They're just super backed up. You can probably get a faster turn around with the same quality over at Visual Products, who are in Ohio. 

Thank you, you’ve been a great help.

Hello Bryan, for recorder monitor i like to work with the Atomos Ninja V with SDI module as an onboard on the camera, and output from there to the teradek or any other monitors you are sending signal to- so they get playback as well. This will work with SD signal converted to HD or with a naitve HD tap.

Regarding the HD tap, consider whether or not the upgrade will include manual iris or set iris, integrated menu toggle or joystick toggle cable, internally powered or powered through an external cable. These are the main differences I find. Ideally you can get an HD tap conversion with footage counter but I have not seen that out yet.

Edited by Felipe Larrondo
spelling

2 hours ago, Felipe Larrondo said:This will work with SD signal converted to HD or with a naitve HD tap.

Great info! Sounds to me like I can just use my existing tap with the blackmagic analog to sdi convertor and save on the Video Tap upgrade. Maybe I can use the money to upgrade to a gold mount adapter. Which I know nothing about. I think it helps power more on board accessories?

• 3 months later...

@Bryan Becker I have an Aaton XTR Prod with an SD color video tap. I bought a blackmagic a/d convertor plugged in a Ninja V, Atomos Shogun, Small HD and non of them worked I couldn't get a picture through. But when I use an old analogue mon there are no issues. After a few days of banging my head against the wall and reading through the internet I figured it out. Apparently the BM a/d convertor if it receives an SD signal it will only convert it so SD-SDI and for some reason most modern monitors now dont support SD-SDI which I think really stupid. SO in order for this to work on my cam I would have to have a BM a/d convertor and another BM box to upscale the SD-SDI to HD-SDI hahah