Questions about camera and lens testing

Andrew Plaza

Hey all - was looking to get some insight as to what other DPs like to test for when given the opportunity to test cameras and lenses for picture. Even as far as to what tools you might recommend using to help the testing process like a light meter, etc. For this purpose let's assume the test is for digital camera bodies.

I'll soon have access to a RED V-Raptor 8K for testing and my personal Fuji X-T4. Two completely different camera bodies but for myself I really want to compare the dynamic range and how far I can push them in the post-room when comparing the two. I'd like to place them in high contrast lighting situations - anyone have any insight here as to what they like to do/use? Is there anything else you would test for?

I'll also have access to a set of IronGlass lenses - rehoused vintage soviet lenses. Anything in particular you test for or even a high-level/general idea of your mindset going into a lens test? Testing for how images look like wide open versus closed down, flaring, etc. Any insight here would also be greatly appreciated.

Links to other videos or tests would be welcomed too.

Thank you all.