16mm color Reversal Tungsten?

I just got my “new” lens, canon super 16 zoom from VP and I want to do some test shots with my kids for fun. I want to shoot on color reversal so I can project it at home for them but only seem to be able to find ektachrome 100D stock. I wanted to do some indoor nighttime shots with some tungsten fresnels which is why I wanted to find tungsten balanced. I want to avoid loosing 2 stops by using a filter. How bad might it look if I just shoot the 100D at night with no correction filter?

8 hours ago, Bryan Becker said:

How bad might it look if I just shoot the 100D at night with no correction filter?

It won't look bad, but it will look quite warm. If you have a digital camera, set it to daylight setting and take photos with tungsten lights to see how it'll look approximately.

How about you buy some Vision3 200T and have a one-light work print made from it? I have been shooting 16mm home movies on negative and went that route -- works great and looks great on projector!

Edited by Heikki Repo

3 hours ago, Heikki Repo said:

It won't look bad, but it will look quite warm. If you have a digital camera, set it to daylight setting and take photos with tungsten lights to see how it'll look approximately.

How about you buy some Vision3 200T and have a one-light work print made from it? I have been shooting 16mm home movies on negative and went that route -- works great and looks great on projector!

Both great ideas, i will try both. do you get your one light work print from Fotokem?

1 hour ago, Bryan Becker said:

Both great ideas, i will try both. do you get your one light work print from Fotokem?

I'm in Europe so I have had film prints made by both "Color by DeJonghe" and Andec - I think you'll get good service at Fotokem too if they have the service available :)

• Premium Member

Kodak only makes 100D in reversal, that's why it's the only stock you can find. It's also horribly expensive to purchase and process. 

I'd for sure shoot negative and get a print. More dynamic range, cheaper stock, better quality over-all. 

Tungsten lights are warmer than daylight. So if a stock is balanced for daylight, it means it will need to be cooled down (blue filter) for tungsten. I believe it's an 80A or B filter.