Arri LPL mount - Why 44mm

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering why did Arri transition from PL - 52mm to LPL - 44mm

I get that with the LPL mount has a wider diameter 62 mm vs 54 mm for PL and can cover bigger sensors. But why did they keep the flange distance at 44mm and not bring it closer to the camera since the LPL mount is only meant for digital cameras and there is no need to provide space for a mechanical shutter?

Optically speaking isnt it harder to design lenses for longer flange distances compared to shorter ones?

Sony E-mount has theirs at 18mm at can easily cover FF sensors.

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, Boris Kalaidjiev said:

Optically speaking isnt it harder to design lenses for longer flange distances compared to shorter ones?

Generally speaking, yes.

You are not the first person to ask why LPL is not a shallower mount. It's a very reasonable question. It's not how a lot of people would have done it.

Could the LPL - 44m flange distance be because:

1) They need the space to clear for optical low pass filters or infrared filters etc? 

2) Having a longer flange distance will make room to design a bigger and stronger lens mount to support heavy cinema lenses? 

• Premium Member

I don't think it's an issue of filters; the JVC GY-LS300 has a rotating ND filter wheel behind a micro four-thirds mount that's not even intended to accommodate Super-35 sensor, and while that's a very small, low cost camera, it demonstrates that it can be done.

I would imagine whoever made the decision had a good reason, but nobody seems to know what that reason was.

• Like 1

I was interested in this and talked to Arri.. 

(I may have misremembered but this is what I took away) 

Yes the space is for the obvious  stuff like  OLPF + IR and UV filers etc but also for the Variable ND systems of now (Arri's current tech) but also for the unknown innovations in the future and if you don't leave enough room now then there will never be enough room.. 

Maybe a new creative filter system, or a Vari con or a more extensive ND system from Arri with more granualirty and range?

Ultimatly it was perhaps Arri being conservative but that seems to be key to their brand... 

Also with a increased width it is more possible to have optical elements driven far closer to the sensor than 44mm ..

Look how far rear element extends beyond the LPL flange here

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcHE_j9vuqX/?hl=en

Edited by Michael Lindsay
  • Like 1