35mm

Pavan Deep

I was wondering about the quality of 35mm, it’s generally accepted that perf  35mm motion picture film is great quality. In still photography 4 perf is the same as half frame and people always say that half frame 35mm is awful quality. Why is the case? Is 35mm still film different.

Pav

• Premium Member

Motion picture film is shot at 24fps. The grain is never at the same place from frame to frame, therefore increasing the perceived resolution when projected at 24fps. As a kid I always wondered why the film stills shown in the cinema entrance were so terribly grainy, while the projection looked great. Until I understood the increased resolution at 24fps.

Edited by David Sekanina
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Twenty-five years ago I made large Cibachrome/Ilfchrome prints from 16mm Kodachrome frames shot with my Arriflex16BL. They looked like pointillism paintings by Seurat. But when projected it looked a lot less grainy.

555.thumb.JPG.43e6cc33d74a7750a9000c5d8e399aad.JPG

Edited by David Sekanina

Well, full-frame 35mm. neg should be pretty grain-free at 10x8 and acceptable at 16x20, certainly up to 200ISO, so that puts the half-frame limit at about 8x6. So not "awful" but it may explain why it never really caught on.

As to the still/cine difference, David's post needs no elaboration. The effective shutter speed at 24pps is rarely above 1/50 second, so there is often considerable motion blur in every frame which the brain simply ignores, but seen as a still it would be very noticeable.

16mm. Kodachrome is something to be extremely envious of.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

As David said, when motion picture film moves through a projector, the grain structure from frame to frame, doesn't line up. Thus, at 24fps, there is far less perceivable grain on screen. This is why motion picture film can be 4 perf 35mm and get away with it, even after 4 levels of duplication for prints.