What is this slating method? (I have not seen it before)

I was looking at BTS pictures from a British tv show I really enjoyed (‘This Is Going To Hurt’ by Lucy Forbes) and I couldn't understand the slates.

I am used to using ‘Scene, Slate, Take’ in Britain but also am familiar with the lettering that US productions do but have not see
n this method before..

14EDA289-1D9A-4E56-A4F5-493D44572A96.jpeg.a2392f2f7bba242254cd9ea48decd682.jpeg

2AD4F270-AABF-471E-9851-CBC9695D1E60.thumb.jpeg.0e29f1e7a4e4f047326f8c1b26e1c9e9.jpeg

Scene is written like a fraction, the slate has a very high number on it such as 912 etc.

could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I’m guessing the fraction is the scene number over the set-up number for that scene, then the larger number is the total set-up number at that point?

But if that were true then both slates were for Scene 1 in the script… plus one slate is March 3 and the other is April 17, which has the 1/1 so my guess can’t be right…

Maybe it’s a series so the 1 above is the episode number and the number below is the scene number?

18 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I’m guessing the fraction is the scene number over the set-up number for that scene, then the larger number is the total set-up number at that point?

But if that were true then both slates were for Scene 1 in the script… plus one slate is March 3 and the other is April 17, which has the 1/1 so my guess can’t be right…

Maybe it’s a series so the 1 above is the episode number and the number below is the scene number?

Thanks David.

It is a mini series with 7 eps so think that ep/scene is plausible but not sure what the slate number would be referring to ?

9 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Yes.

I've correlated stills with the call sheet on my last show and the fractions match- episode/scene number.

"Take" is just that, the take number for the setup.

("Ipcress File". The scene with the Steenbeck was cut?)

Edited by Mark Dunn